SS deer counter.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My hubby killed a spike too...big body but little horns...nice meat though!

Saw a doe saturday but couldn't get a shot on her...wouldn't come out of a thicket long enough for a good shot. Bummer.

Congrats everyone!

Lori

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks said:
Beekissed said:
Add a doe and a buck from my son, Eli, and a doe this summer on a crop permit....we don't really count that as a sport kill, as it was out of season and with a gun (we don't do gun kills normally). :)
added them. Are the buck and the doe hunted deer or crop permit deer.
Buck and doe are bowkills this season.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wanted to share this story, but don't add it, since they are not in our SS family. My bosses 8 year old son killed his first buck this past weekend. He'd killed one or two does this year already and a few does last year.

I just thought the story was cute because the proud dad has been waiting and waiting for his son to get his first horns. The hunting club they belong to has a rule about bucks. You can only shoot six points or more. If you shoot one with less points, you have to pay a fine ($50 or $100.)

The little boy is aware of this and was nervous about shooting something he shouldn't. So he and his dad were in the stand and saw the deer come out. Boy said, "Daddy, can I shoot it? 'clickBOOM'!" Before dad even has a chance to pick up his binoculars. LOL

It turns out it was a great big six point. They gave me the whole back strap. It is HUGE. We ate some last night and cut the rest up for the freezer. There is enough left for easily 6 or 8 meals (using our new reduced meat eating fashion.)

Cassandra

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
It was probably average size. At least 1 year old.
Dac, you are one of the luckiest hunters though. A 120 lb. + buck in the rut does not taste anywhere near as good as a nice petite doe. YUM.

P.S. you can't eat the antlers.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Ticks, you got the size about right. I was able to get her up on the mower without too much trouble. My bucket controls were frozen so I couldn't use the bucket.

I haven't weighed the meat and probably won't and I've given some away.

I hunt for meat so I would rather have a doe but if that big buck comes along he is a candidate for the wall.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i was at the fire station yesterday and a man gave me a doe already skinned and quartered. So mark me up for just a half piont since i didnt kill it myself.

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Add a rather large 10-pointer for me! And hubby got a doe. ;)Hehe.

ash10pt002.jpg