SS Family

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I think there are a number of main reasons for this and some related reasons.

We are still small.

We are still new.

The same questions haven't been asked multiple times so the curmudgeons like me don't irritated.

Our subject area is more diverse so there is more room for different topics. We don't have people saying that only self sufficient subjects should be posted. Almost anything can be tied to self sufficiency.

I find we are tolerant and quick to forgive any misunderstandings.

We are supportive. I corrected something roosmom posted on BYC and it happened to be when she was having a bad day. I came over here and made a post on one of her threads that I think patched things up.

There is a great sense of humor and a sense of community here.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Everyone here seems to get along because we all want to learn. I have yet to encounter a closed mind on this site. Closed minds cant learn.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the way everyone gets along despite our differences. I don't have to hide who I am. Everyone is so helpful!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with Dac on this--we are new and fairly small. Becasue we are small, we seem to "know each other" fairly well--as opposed to posting something and getting 50 responses (or 150) from unknown ppl--who don't "know" you or what kind of day your having, or what you are going through.

That being said, I really appreciate the maturity level (for lack of a better term) and closeness that this board seems to have. I rarely go to othere sites too--all my needs are met on this site.

Hopefully as this site grows, we don't lose this closeness or comraderie. In my life--respect is one of the most important things--a day doesn't go by in my house when we don't talk about respect. So having respect for other ppl is very important to me. The ppl on this board have respect for one another, and I hope that is somethng that is never lost.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hopefully as this site grows, we don't lose this closeness or comraderie. In my life--respect is one of the most important things--a day doesn't go by in my house when we don't talk about respect. So having respect for other ppl is very important to me. The ppl on this board have respect for one another, and I hope that is somethng that is never lost.
Well, what I see happening is we get this comraderie going, and in a year or two new members will be saying "it's clique-ish" but really, it won't be, but since we've been here early on getting to know eachother it might seem that way to newbies.

So I think we should be sure to make the newbies welcome and not feel that we are a clique or anyhing :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think we will go "clique-ish"---is that a word..HA HA

Some are going to know others longer....nothing can change that. All newbies will be included definitely....but if they are truly wierd and start insane posts and such.....hey, I ain't afraid to tell them this is a learning site for SS and take those kind of posts elsewhere.

As long as no one comes in with the intent to destroy...then all is cool on this site I am sure! But I have seen people come into a forum with the foulest attitudes.......I don't ever want that to happen here.

but roll with the punches I guess...LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think that part of our overall ease of getting along is that we tend (in general) to be different than the masses and therefore more accepting of each others differences. Just kind of goes with the territory.

I personally very much appreciate the way that I have been welcomed in even though I do not really fit the description. I love that this is not a rigid and judgmental group!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dace said:
I personally very much appreciate the way that I have been welcomed in even though I do not really fit the description. I love that this is not a rigid and judgmental group!
While I agree with this in a broad sense, and quite like this forum (obviously :p), let me just point out that there are also PMs flyin' round out there, the contents of which you can be of a MUCH different tenor...

Not complaining really, just pointing it out,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pat what are you referring to?
I have no idea what this PM flying around thing is? Is it trouble? LOL---if it is I don't want to know then..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Pat what are you referring to?
Just that you can't judge the overall friendliness quotient entirely on the basis of what's seen publicly. Nastiest nastygram I've ever recieved in 14ish years online came as a PM on this forum. (Not going to discuss it further).

'Sokay, life's like that, but, you know. Books, covers.

<shrug>,

Pat