SS Garden thread 2011, post your pics here!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have no where to garden at this house, so I have decided to build some earth boxes. My trouble with containers is that our climate is so dry, I can never keep up with the watering. I think with the earth box style of container and the built in water reservoir I should have more luck.

I bought a few new seeds, and need to go thru my old ones and decide what to start indoors this weekend. I do newspaper pots, always works well for me.

Barefootmom, looks like you have your seeds in plastic bags.....can you explain your set up?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
I have no where to garden at this house, so I have decided to build some earth boxes. My trouble with containers is that our climate is so dry, I can never keep up with the watering. I think with the earth box style of container and the built in water reservoir I should have more luck.
A soaker hose, with a timer on the faucet works great. Set it to come on at your preferred time and it takes the worry out of trying to remember to water. :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ours is under about 2 ft of snow -__-

and i won't even be here when it gets going, my parents will tend it. but i'm moving out of my parents house in may D:

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's hubby and his helpers cleaning out the fence row where we will plant beans. My tomatoes will be along the first part - so I can keep an eye on them.

1343_garden_2011_002.jpg

And here they are helping him till up the row.

1343_garden_2011_008.jpg

We have spinach, beets, bok choi, carrots, garlic, and lettuce already planted in raised beds under row covers and the peas and various greens are planted in the center garden. We have 150 lbs. of potatoes to plant as soon as it dries out (yukky rain!). Then there will be corn, beans, eggplant, peppers, okra, cucumbers when frost danger is past.

Ouch, my aching back!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We started Romas and Rutgers tomatoes, california wonder peppers, basil, cilantro, lavendar, chives, catnip, and parsley on Saturday with the kids in peat pots. Everything else will go directly in the garden when the weather gets warmer.

Kids are keeping a growth chart. :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planning a mod on square foot gardens this year, want 3 4x8 gardens, well use plenty of the composted chicken bedding in the normal mix.

gotta pick up some seed trays this week to get things started...

were being told theres another storm (either big rain or big-ish (10") snow) comming through on the 7th...then spring should slowly start comming out way after that (should be the last night yicky of the season im being told...) so after that we need to wait for the ground to thaw out, aparently were modifying the chickens run (maing it bigger and partially covered) and then the raised beds. i also want to plant some more berry bushes along the back fencline, we planted blueberry , blackberry and raspberry by the coop last year but will have to wait to see if they survived...

right now though our garden just lookls like a grey white and brown mess lol!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm A Gardener :) said:
I'll join!!!! This year I'm planning on growing a carnation garden and harvesting the seeds, and selling the flowers, and starting more plants from those seeds. Have you guys ever tried sowing seeds in egg shells? I saw it in a Martha Stewart Magazine and though it was a cool idea.
I haven't sewn seeds in egg shells, but I do transplant seedlings into them. The farmers market customers love it.

ETA: Oopss! Forgot the OP!

We have potatoes, onions, garlic, leaf lettuce, spinach, beets, arugula and kohlrabi seeds in the ground. I'll take some pics after they get sprouted well.

In a couple days we'll be putting out greens (mustard, kale, turnip) and cole crops like broccoli, cabbage, etc. We had 2 days of rain Sun/Mon so we'll have to wait a couple days before tilling more soil.

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a very good friend whom owns a green house about 30 miles from me. He is going to help me get some great plants for those wonderful herbs that hate to be with out. I have rosemary and thyme and lavender that I have had for 8 months now. -

I abandoned my garden for 2 years when blight hit the first time and killed all of my 100 tomato plants. Please help me with this!!!!!!! I honestly cried . Mom called and said "we have tomatoes" next day... went to check yes tomatoes... few days later .... BLACK... are you kidding me.

I have grown softball size onions for years. hot chillies, green beans. I never had help from others in my family. Till I made the rule starting NOW. "If you like to eat you will #1 help with dishes, #2 help feed the livestock #3 Help with the garden. " So far I have been getting help with the feeding of livestock and dishes. Now garden!!!!!!! Can't wait I'm so excited IM BURSTING ... :) :weee
:fl I just need to figure out every possible way to keep that darn BLIGHT away from my garden..

Someone please tell me how to attach a picture?