SS projects, solar hot water design - Sunsaver's tech stuff

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK SS. Nice work. Now my next question is: How does the size/volume of the battery affect the performance/voltage?
If you use a quart or even a half gallon jar will that make any difference in the voltage or amperage?
If the voltage is proportional to the volume, think what a 30 gallon plastic drum would do.
Maybe not but it sure does bear asking.
//BT//
Trim sends

S

sunsaver

Size only affects the life span. The bigger the battery, the longer it will last before you have to replace the electrodes or electrolyte. I made a 28 cell battery out of two ice trays, using tiny thin strips of copper and galvanized flashing, and the performance was the same. This is a galvanic battery, based on the electropotential difference of the metal itself. I think it has something to do with the weak nuclear force, but i've never found a satisfactory description of it. Surface area, proximity of the electrodes to each other seem to make no difference in voltage levels. Stacking cells in series can add up to some high voltage though, as far as you want to go.
also, a more corrosive electrolyte, acid or base, will boost the amperage, while shortening the life of the battery. Theoretically you could have a massive battery that does what a regular battery does, but for much longer.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Seems like attaching a photo cell to shut off the light in the day would give the battery a chance to recharge.

Or perhaps it could be switching from direct solar power in day to jelly jar battery at night. :idunno

S

sunsaver

Good idea, FF. Heres a pic of the completed battery:

3514_jj_new.jpg

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Good idea, FF. Heres a pic of the completed battery:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/3514_jj_new.jpg
Awesome work SS.
I note that this is "outside" and have to say that I'd be unable to have mine "outside" for more than 90 days of the year. The rest of it is too cold. The nice thing is that the electrolyte is benign and won't damage the environment if a spill occurs. I love that.
Keep us informed on the power, amperage and capability of this. It may be that we will have to use it one day (?soon?)
Best
If you want to know, think RIGHT, too!
// -... - //
RPG KQC LBQ

S

sunsaver

Here is a drawing i made of my solar water heater. You'll need a mirror or photoshop to read it. I'll try to scan it with my other computer, and transfer it over here.

3514_water_heater_plans.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not a teacher, but I can read backwards and upside down. This just isn't big enough.