STARTING with ideas to raise money

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I just posted to my blog about the situation with my roof. Basically, after exhausting all other options over the past couple of years, I need to come up with as much as $15,000 (depending on a lot of variables) to replace my roof, fascia, and patio cover. It's no longer a "wait and see" situation. Every day, I find pieces of the roof in the yard. No kidding.

Anyway, Instead of retyping the post, here's the link if you wouldn't mind reading the post and offering suggestions here or there or both. I am looking for ideas that take pretty much no capital.

Thanks !!!

http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/2010/03/raise-or-lower-roof.html

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Check into your states use of lottery

In NC we have a 50/50 raffle

tickets are sold for like $20 each with a sum of say $5000 to be sold

winner gets $2500 and the owner or charity keeps the other $2500

since it is a fund raiser you might qualify to do this type of raffle....not sure who ya check but if you have some local stores and friends to sell tickets at work you can sure make fast cash.....of course it all depends on the legal of a "person" doing this raffle but never hurts to find out if you can do it for "your personal fundraiser"

just a suggestion ya never know

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wow, you are in quite a pickle. And that is some BS they are putting you through. I'll see if I can think of something.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
What I would do: Contact your congressman to see if their office could intervene on your behalf with the agency and get a reconsideration of sorts. Plead extenuating circumstances, say you were attempting to arrange all that was required and hadn't been informed that there were time limits involved.
Have all your thoughts in a row because they usually require a written request with all the facts and your side of it to go forward.
Don't try to sound intellectual; you are needy and must convey that and that you've done everything that the agency asked. You are at the end of your rope with no where to turn, which from the sounds of it is where you are at.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
not sure if you're a member of a church or other larger group, but this is what we did.

We had a big "donate to the cause" garage sale. Everyone in the church did some spring cleaning and had a garage sale. All the proceeds when to the cause.

We had a TON of stuff!!!! I can't stress how much stuff there was. It was alot of work, but if people can see you're working as hard (or harder) than anyone else, they are more apt to help.

If you can organize this, put an ad in the paper for other people that might want to donate.

also, CALL THE MEDIA! They love stories like this. You might get lucky and find a group or groups that will volunteer just to get their names in the paper and generate more business.

hth

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wow ! Thank you !!! Awesome suggestions. Will see what I can do. I am not shy, that's for sure! Thanks again....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Perhaps this is naive of me, but is it not possible for someone from H4H, or your local representative or other gov't official who you talk to about it, to just go have a chat with the building inspector department and get them to issue a permit for the roof with insulation being installed *at the same time*? Surely this situation comes up not-infrequently. Then you would only have to afford insulation (which if you do some of it yourself needn't be too expensive), if H4H will pick up the roof cost.

GOod luck,

Pat

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did fundraising for a graduating class trip and we did all kinds of little things... bottle drives, 50/50 draws, raffles (get stores to donate gift certificates, products, etc)...

Media can be a HUGE help... you may find contractors willing to greatly reduce rates if they are going to get coverage in a newspaper or on tv... advertising can cost thousands and thousands each week, so free publicity is like money in their pockets, which hopefully they would transfer on to you. People might call in with donatations, etc... we had a little boy who needed a wheelchair accessible van that was going to cost $60,000.... they put his story in our paper, and before the end of the day we had a car dealer donate a van and enough people gave donations to have the van converted with a wheelchair lift.

People care, you just need a way to get the word out that you need help :)

What about members here? I can't afford a bunch, but I could send 5 or 10 bucks... if everyone did, it could be a great start to your funds...