STARTING with ideas to raise money

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Bee, a VERY quick answer and an incomplete one, as I am building more shelves and if I stop too long I will not get back.

The insulation is definitely needed before anyone can work on the roof at all. I haven't checked on the cost of the insulation alone, just in combination with replacing the entire roof, down to the sub roof. (The roof has leaked for at least ten years, who I am assuming the sub roof is going to need to be replaced.

The H4H conractor was out of town the end of last week, so I hav not had a chance to speak with him about alternatives, but I sure do intend to !!

Thanks... Will read your post for content later on, when the sawdust settls.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bet that if you figure out how much insulation is needed many here would purchase a roll for you.

People like to donate more if they know what they are purchasing..

Like the price for 40 pounds of nails...

The price of one package of shingles....

for one roll of tarp paper....

for a strip of flashing.....

The price of a vent....

The price of 10, 2 x4's etc.......

the price of a tube of sealant.....

If people are knowing what they are paying for it is psychologically more satisfying for them to give I think. If you could get people to sign up for different items? and each item will give people a choice according to what they can afford.... so people with not so much can pay for a tube of sealant and others might go for a roll of insulation, etc.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you ! I wish that were true. If you listen to the videos I put on my blog, you wll see how disjointed I am. Experience is necessary !!!

Love the title !

chipmunk said:
Many communities have commutity based classes that you can be a teacher for when they approve your idea for a class. Ours sends out a flyer in the mail several times a year, and the classes are held at the local high school and community centers. They're always looking for folks to offer classes; I've considered offering one called 'Pinching Pennies Until They Yelp', which sounds like what you're considering.

You'd be a terrific teacher!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I really like this idea, Mackay. You make excellent points about the mindset of people doing things for others, about a psychological connection. I need to slow down for a day and really think all of this through. The wisdom I am receiving is mind boggling. I know I won't be able to get anything started for three weeks, so perhaps I can put it all together

Mackay said:
I just bet that if you figure out how much insulation is needed many here would purchase a roll for you.

The price of a vent....

If people are knowing what they are paying for it is psychologically more satisfying for them to give I think. If you could get people to sign up for different items? and each item will give people a choice according to what they can afford.... so people with not so much can pay for a tube of sealant and others might go for a roll of insulation, etc.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:

The price of a vent....

Count me in!!! Oh boy, it's like a good old fashioned barn raising! Just wish I wasn't on the other side of the country, so I could pitch in with the actual work

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to have to research a materials list! Thanks everyone. This is exciting!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Quick update on the roof/insulation issue.

I have found someone who will insulate the attic to R30 for about $650. This is an awesome deal, and works out to about 50 cents per square foot. I have the insurance money saved that will pay exactly that number. When the time comes to actually do the roofing project, I will then qualify for Habitat for Humanity, and will only have to pay for the building inspection and the materials. Not sure what that will require yet, because the actual subroofing has not been inspected yet. That will come when they do the insulation. If the sub roofing is too bad, then we will have to replace absolutely everything, including the ends of the trusses outside the house, which are rotted. It is possible that interior trusses will have to be replaced as well.

H4H will not be able to do the project if the sub roofing has to be replaced, and at that point I will have to pay for an entire roof. It will definitely be about $10-12,000.

As there will be blown in cellulose insulation, I will not be able to wait for a new roof. If it rains, and I do have leaks in the roof, then the weight of the water and the shredded cellulose will collaps the ceiling.

This is going to be an exercise in faith, that's for sure !!!

Anyway, that;s the update. We are definitely going with the insulation in the next weeks.