STARTING with ideas to raise money

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Perhaps this is naive of me, but is it not possible for someone from H4H, or your local representative or other gov't official who you talk to about it, to just go have a chat with the building inspector department and get them to issue a permit for the roof with insulation being installed *at the same time*? Surely this situation comes up not-infrequently. Then you would only have to afford insulation (which if you do some of it yourself needn't be too expensive), if H4H will pick up the roof cost.

GOod luck,

Pat
Thanks Pat.

The deal is that H4H provides the labor (with some from me, too), and I provide the materials (which I can get through them at a discount). Your idea about having them get together is a good one, and H4H is working on a couple of angles. The ruling about the insulation just came into effect three months ago, so this is a new situation for H4H to deal with.

The upshot is, because of the stringent new rules, we are not able to do a layover roof, but will probably have to tear out the sub roof as well, which increases the cost by an enormous amount, and also takes it beyond the scope of the building arts class. That means H4H may not be able to do the project, and I will have to hire someone. As well, now that the city has seen the roof, it is possible they can condemn the house. Not likely, but possible.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You all have been awesome. Thank you so much. I am thinking hard about all of this, and definitely want to earn the money if I can. I agree wholeheartedly with getting publicity for any company that wishes to help on any level. It's going to take some time for me to get this thought through, and I see MANY ideas in these posts that will mesh together to formulate an excellent plan.

THANKS and keep them coming !!!!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Love the media idea. I also liked the suggestion that was posted on your blog of teaching canning classes. Also, last year there was someone on our CL that would do your canning for you. She charged by the jar but I'm not sure if you had to bring her the ingredients or what.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
PS, on the media idea, does the story carry more weight if a concerned friend were to submit it to the local tv or newspaper rather than contacting them yourself? If so, I'd be willing to do that on your behalf if you want to PM me or if someone else has had luck or experience doing that.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
PS, on the media idea, does the story carry more weight if a concerned friend were to submit it to the local tv or newspaper rather than contacting them yourself? If so, I'd be willing to do that on your behalf if you want to PM me or if someone else has had luck or experience doing that.
My personal opinion, yes it would carry lots more weight.

awsome idea!!!

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you looked at selling advertising on your blog site?

Local food, canning supplies, any ss topic, magazines, roofers? I am sure that if you need x number of hits/week, we at ss would gladly visit your blog!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As someone who desperately wants to learn to can things, and has no idea what she's doing.... I think the 'How to Can' classes sound like a great idea.

I bought 'Canning and preserving for dummies', but I much rather would have someone teaching me what I'm doing so I don't poison my family with some silly mistake....

You could spin it with a living frugally angle for the advertising...

Is there a church or somewhere you could have access to a large kitchen? There are some great 'Save time, eat real food' classes here. You go in and all the ingredients are chopped up, somewhat prepped, laid out buffet style... and you get a recipe card and some freezer bags... you work your way down the row and put all the ingredients on your card into the freezer bags... you then take the servings home and freeze them... it's homemade freezer meals, but they take the work right out of it... they definitely charge a premium for the service, but it's SO convienient for working people with no time who still want to make real foods... They meet once a week and have 5 recipes for the week... you make however many servings you need for your family, then pay /serving/recipe that you make.... 30 minutes and all your weeknight meals are prepped and ready to cook.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That sounds like a business we had here in town, "Dining Deals". We went a couple of times, my daughter and niee and I. It was so convenient, but a little pricey, as you said.

I am working up a plan that involves a lot of what we have been talking about, and some input I got from a couple of friends. I blogged about it last night. The idea is in its infancy, but I feel good about it. It involves writing and teaching about all the things I have learned and put into practice about self-sufficiency and long term food storage, including recipes. One friend suggested an E-Book, another encouraged teaching. I am brainstorming ways to combine the two, add more angles in order to appeal to a wider audience, and so forth. Now I am adding in your idea as well. Perhaps a series of workshops. Even once a month cooking, which would include your idea. I have to be careful about food handling regulations, making sure the attendees do all the prep.

I also don't want the process tog et so big that my ADD kicks in and I end up overwhelmed and quitting.

Thanks for your ideas everyone. There are so many, and they are so good !

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Many communities have commutity based classes that you can be a teacher for when they approve your idea for a class. Ours sends out a flyer in the mail several times a year, and the classes are held at the local high school and community centers. They're always looking for folks to offer classes; I've considered offering one called 'Pinching Pennies Until They Yelp', which sounds like what you're considering.

You'd be a terrific teacher!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now, from what I understand from your story, Habitat will help you with the roof if you only have the insulation in place? Is that correct? Or did I read this wrong? So, the issue now is not how to raise $15,000 but how to raise enough for insulation and how to keep it dry so they can place a new roof on your house?

Do you have any idea how much insulation is needed and the approximate cost of that? As for keeping it dry until the roof can be replaced, there are some very large, heavy-duty tarps that can be placed until construction can be done~at least this is how they do it around here.

Habitat may be able to help you with your insulation acquisition, as they get excess donations of building materials which they then sell in a Habitat store...at least they do over in the next state from me.

How much, if not the total $15,000, do you need to make this happen? It doesn't seem like the house is a huge house, so it might be feasible to have an "Insulation Drive" where a person can donate the price of a roll of insulation, or even the actual roll. I know I would send you the price of two rolls right now....wonder how many of us could or would do the same? Wonder how many would do it if you put out an emergency plea on your blog?

If many people gave a little it can quickly turn into something big. Please tell us if just getting together the cost of insulation is now the issue, or if you still have to foot the cost of the whole roof.

Any churches in the area that could help with this?

I'm sorry that you are having this trouble...it seems like the folks who really need it the most, can never get the proper help at the proper time. Let us know if we can help? :)