Stock up alert!

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm definately going to get a couple of calves to free range this spring ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
gd - the commercial stuff is pretty cheap. If you are concerned about ingredients, possible pesticides, etc... I can see making your own though.

As for prices going up, I just heard from a local retailer that her supplier said there is a pork rind shortage?!?!?! He wont have any pork rinds to give her for the next 5- 6 WEEKS!

I also heard beef was going up. Trying to stock up on ground beef for my youngest son. He practically lives on it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stock up on lye! AAA-Chemicals.com is having a "store-wide" sale until Sep 30th. Coupon code upon check-out is "Fall-2011". It's 15% off.

Of course, since they package in the 2lb bottles, this stuff lasts indefinately. I still have lye from two years ago that is still fine and dandy, but since I only have 2lbs left, I put another order in. Of course if I weren't a po' college student with two kids, I'd have bought more than just 16lbs (which is what my last order was).

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Keep in a tight container otherwise lye can pull enough moisture out of the air to set up as a solid mass.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just got around to looking thru my grocery ads....Meijer here in central Ohio has 5lb potatoes and 3lb onion for 99 cents.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't remember if this has been mentioned before or not, but there is a small chain of stores called 'Grocery Outlet' that you can find some great deals. Although in the last few years I've noticed their prices can sometimes be even more than big chains sales so you need to be aware. It is my understanding they get there stuff from the big chains that are overstock or discontinued. Sometimes the brands are from a different region of the country and in the past I have found name brand stuff but was in a different language but not so much anymore.
Just saying it's another place to check out for bargains.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Our here it is called Bargain Mart. Same thing. I used to get balsamic vinegar and coffee from them, but they don't seem to carry any real food anymore.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have my eye on this weeks mailers. Because its Oct my Frazier Farms, local health food store, has brats and sausages on sale. I think they were 2.49 a lb. Not bad for home made. I plan to stock up on the brats.

Food for less/Kroger is going to have Galas on sale this week. Not as cheap as I got them last week but I thought I would give you guys a heads up.

g