Stock up alert!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I went out to a u-pick place the other day and got lovely blueberries for $1.15/lb.
Ooooooooooooooh I'm jealous! There's a U-Pick place in the next county over from us - I just don't know how much it is for their blueberries!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm so frustrated because we live in an area that's rural and almost all ag. Unfortunately, it's mostly commodity crops (corn, beans, wheat, and chickens). That means our fruits and veggies tend to be pretty pricey. The one thing I found a good deal on was asparagus earlier this year. I talk with my sister in NC and we compare prices, and things are ALWAYS cheaper down there (to be expected, the cost of living is cheaper down there) but it is so frustrating. I want to be able to support local farmers, but that's hard to do if I can't afford it.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see Safeway has grapes (red, green or black) for .99 per lb, but the ad doesn't say where they're from/grown

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
In all the markets I've been in (in CO), they disclose location on every fruit and veggie.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
In all the markets I've been in (in CO), they disclose location on every fruit and veggie.
It may say 'where' in the store :hu but it doesn't say in the paper ad

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
At our Albertsons (over here on the other side of the Narrows bridge) most of the produce is labled with its original location.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
That's true. Our King Soopers has a "LOCAL PRODUCE" part in the ad, so I assume everything else, isn't.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
we "SS people" are supposed to eat local fresh in season

so again it comes to everyone wanting what they can't grow, and preserve, and then we wonder why we need a GLOBALl economy
;)

just saying that if you want to be SS, freezing what is not grown in your area is not a true SS trait? OR IS IT?

just thowing out food for thought :p

I am rambling and enjoying it LOL
I can see where you are coming from but from my short time being back here, I can also see that all of us are in different stages of SS living. ;)

I would love nothing more to be totally SS, but we're not even close to that point. So we do what we can and don't sweat what we can't do. :cool:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The thing I miss the most living were we do (the dry side of Oregon) is fish and seafood. Unless you are a Native American, most of the fishing here is catch and release, and mostly what I find in the supermarkets is fish farmed in Asia :sick
Still, catfish is fairly plentiful in the lakes and rivers, and they aren't considered a "game" fish