Stock up alert!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess its hard to say what's decent anymore. My 3pound can has gone from 9 to 13.50 in the last year or so. I can't justify the coat now as it is. I have bought some cheaper stuff as back up. But just not the same.

G

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I heard this morning on the news about a coffee bean shortage. Did anyone else hear this? The story mentioned weather as being the culprit. If this is true you can expect the prices to skyrocket over the next few months. About a year or so ago I was paying somewhere around $5-$6 per 39oz can and currently the prices range from $9-$12+ per can. If the prices do go up from there...there is going to be alot of cranky people around :/ I'd suggest if you can find it for a decent price....STOCK UP NOW!
Also a bug from Asia got in to the Hawaiin coffee plants - and they don't have a way to control it, yet.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
old fashioned said:
I heard this morning on the news about a coffee bean shortage. Did anyone else hear this? The story mentioned weather as being the culprit. If this is true you can expect the prices to skyrocket over the next few months. About a year or so ago I was paying somewhere around $5-$6 per 39oz can and currently the prices range from $9-$12+ per can. If the prices do go up from there...there is going to be alot of cranky people around :/ I'd suggest if you can find it for a decent price....STOCK UP NOW!
Also a bug from Asia got in to the Hawaiin coffee plants - and they don't have a way to control it, yet.
This is scary...DH is a coffee-aholic & drinks a couple pots every day. Can't imagine the withdrawal he's going to go thru if he has to cut back much... :(

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
my MIL may as well have a coffee iv...it would kill her if she couldn't get her fix everyday. We started buying whole bean coffee and grinding it ourselves and I don't use as much, I also got a french press to use if I only want one or two cups so I don't brew a whole pot and waste it. I also drink leftover cold coffee in the pot with ice and milk. I hate to pour out coffee when it is that expensive.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've saved leftover coffee too in the fridge & reheated it in the microwave when I need a pick me up

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wheat, corn, peanuts, coffee, sugar. Anyone hear of any other shortages? It sounds like the 1940's again. I wonder if we will start getting rationed?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've often wondered if it would come to that again. My Ma & Auntie would talk of rationing & stamps & such when they were kids & not just for personal use stuff, but things like rubber too 'for the war effort' because everything went to the military first & the people got whatever was left, if anything.......atleast that's how I had perceived it. :hu

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found a deal on peanut butter at my local IGA. 18 oz jars 2/$3 this week so stocked up on 12 for the year until new crop of peanuts. Have to put a heads up on sunflower seeds, 50 lb sack for chickens last year $18 this year $36. That was my go to for winter treats, maybe not so much now. Grew a bunch last year and decided the work of covering them against wild birds, molding if not ideal conditions for storage and space were not cost efficient, could kick myself for cutting way back this year. That will teach me.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I've often wondered if it would come to that again. My Ma & Auntie would talk of rationing & stamps & such when they were kids & not just for personal use stuff, but things like rubber too 'for the war effort' because everything went to the military first & the people got whatever was left, if anything.......atleast that's how I had perceived it. :hu
My father bought a great team of draft horses in the summer of '41 and got them at a great price since everyone was going to tractors. He was the butt of many jokes that summer, not so much in the summer of 42 when gas rationing kicked in. The government wasn't compleate idiots they knew farmers needed gas to produce food and they did allow gas for that but nothing extra. My father worked the farm with the team and used the gas as he saw fit (black market) since he had his two tractors up on blocks he put the old steel wheels back on them and loaned/rented the rubber tires to others that were waiting for ration board approval for replacement tires (rubber was harder to get than gas, darn few rubber trees in US.) The government even came in and counted the chickens for your egg quota and so you wouldn't sell them off for meat, but they forgot that ducks laid eggs and were good eats too so by the end of the war we had more ducks than chickens. You know that war was when we started to feed most of the old world as well as our own troops.~gd BTW India and China grow a lot of peanuts. South America is aware of the Bad US crop, it is spring there now and many places are planting hoping to cash in so the shortage may be gone by the end of the winter. Greed Works!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Wheat, corn, peanuts, coffee, sugar. Anyone hear of any other shortages? It sounds like the 1940's again. I wonder if we will start getting rationed?
Wheat, too? Hadn't heard... What happened?