Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
old fashioned said:
SKR8PN said:
2000 rounds of .308(7.62 military round)
6000 rounds of .223 (military round as well)
4000 rounds of .40 caliber(military round as well as police)
10 cases of 12 gauge
8 cases of 20 gauge
4 cases of .410 gauge
I am guessing well over 20 bricks of .22 caliber
LOTS of muzzle loader stuff.
Lots and lots of compound bow stuff.
Lots and lots of crossbow stuff.
Not to mention the .44 magnum revolver and ammo or the reloading stuff I have.
It's gonna be a LOOONG time before I run out.

:D:D:D:D:D
I see nothing wrong with being well armed & having your stockpile include weapons & ammo to defend yourself & family, life & liberty. Yes, it's also good to know & befriend your neighbors in a group effort of defense. Some people in society refuse to be reasonable and as a last resort may need further prompting. ;)

On another note....if I remember correctly...I can't remember Skr8pn ever mentioning stockpiling anything other than guns & ammo so is he trying to say he's going to be one of those zombies the rest of us have to watch out for???? :D

AND currently in the news is a shoot out with 8 people dead in rural Ohio. I'm hoping & :fl Skr8pn & his neighbor lady weren't involved.
That wasn't me Old Fashioned!!:lol: And yes, we ARE stockpiling more than just ammo and firearms.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/376295956.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/376295957.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/376295962.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/376295961.jpg
Not bad at all. Looks familiar. :) Good job. I think we have twins. :)

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals!

I'm just starting to get into stocking up and couponing to get deals on all my food and stuff but can you lead me to some sites that will help me get started and continue... I'd really appreciate it. I'm one of those phenomenons in the younger generations that doesn't see it as paranoia but being self reliant.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Hey guys and Gals!

I'm just starting to get into stocking up and couponing to get deals on all my food and stuff but can you lead me to some sites that will help me get started and continue... I'd really appreciate it. I'm one of those phenomenons in the younger generations that doesn't see it as paranoia but being self reliant.
Here's a quick tip: learn to garden and raise chickens, quail or rabbits. Even if you don't have any property, you might someday. Plus you can always raise a few veggies or fruit inside your home in containers, especially if you have a sun-facing window.

Watch for specials. That means keeping your eye on circulars.

Don't believe the hype that a dented can is no good. It's just fine unless it's bloated or rusted. Usually. So I always look in the scratch-and-dent and discounted section.

Make a plan. List what you eat, and what you can better prepare for yourself (instead of buying canned meals) that will be healthier, less sodium, no preservatives, tastier, and cheaper. Start assembling ingredients, like whole wheat grains (you can mill it yourself), dried veggies, baking powder, etc.

Glad you're on board!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Hey guys and Gals!

Go to www.westonaprice.org and research the 11 principles of traditional diets. These were people who were untouched by modern foods (back in the 30's or so) and were extremely healthy in every way and were completely self-sufficient. These peoples ate very different diets depending on where they lived, but researcher Dr. Price found 11 commonalities to all of them.

Figure out how you can accommodate those 11 principles in your diet according to where you live and focus your efforts on those areas.

For example, that is why I first got hens....pastured eggs were the easiest way to incorporate one of the most important principles....good fat in the yolks along with vitamins only available through real food. Then we got a dairy goat and meat poultry, then pigs came naturally after that. Along with gardening and foraging, fermenting, etc.

To me the most important principle in being ss is to do things that greatly improve your health. Then you don't need expensive health care (for the most part....ya can't undo everything!)

eta: It is interesting to me that my efforts to follow the 11 principles naturally leads me to self sufficiency and on a shoestring!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
To me the most important principle in being ss is to do things that greatly improve your health. Then you don't need expensive health care (for the most part....ya can't undo everything!)

eta: It is interesting to me that my efforts to follow the 11 principles naturally leads me to self sufficiency and on a shoestring!
Free, I kind of went the same route, but hadn't even heard of Weston A Price until I came to this formum.

I now get to take this a step furher, by being able to provide the most nutritous food for my grandson at minimal cost!
DD cannot breast feed for medical reasons. So baby boy gets to eat food grown by Omi and Nonno and DD bought a nifty blender setup and makes baby's food with our fruit and vegetables. Oh, and the milk from our goat and egg yolks from our chickens.

But I started out small and kept adding as I got comfortable with what I already had.

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! I do raise 4 chickens in my backyard for eggs and I tried to garden this year until I fractured my leg and had to go into a cast the garden has gone wild with watermelon choking out almost everything else and I don't think I have enough sun in my backyard to grow tomatoes they just started producing after just continually blooming all summer... :) And I have a great sized laundry room to store stuff just have to get some shelves in it.

I will check that site out! And I'm planning to add meat rabbits next spring but that's probably all I'll be able to fit on my quarter acre in N. AL

But learning to take care of the animals I have and the rabbits I would like and bettering my gardening skills should be plenty until I can move onto a few acres one day :)

P.s. Sorry for hijacking Mark!
Back to original dissusion everyone...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Thanks! I do raise 4 chickens in my backyard for eggs and I tried to garden this year until I fractured my leg and had to go into a cast the garden has gone wild with watermelon choking out almost everything else and I don't think I have enough sun in my backyard to grow tomatoes they just started producing after just continually blooming all summer... :) And I have a great sized laundry room to store stuff just have to get some shelves in it.
Just a word on the laundry room storage, heat. The warmer the area where food is kept, the shorter its' storage life. So if your laundry room is warm, especially in the summer, consider looking for other areas for foods. There have been some interesting discussions on this site regarding food storage, and some mighty creative ideas. The laundry may be a great for dry goods, though.

BriteChicken said:
Not a problem. Conversations can go off in any direction, I just follow along. :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
BriteChicken said:
Just a word on the laundry room storage, heat. The warmer the area where food is kept, the shorter its' storage life. So if your laundry room is warm, especially in the summer, consider looking for other areas for foods. There have been some interesting discussions on this site regarding food storage, and some mighty creative ideas. The laundry may be a great for dry goods, though.

BriteChicken said:
Not a problem. Conversations can go off in any direction, I just follow along. :)
If we got our knickers in a twist every time one of us strayed off topic, we would be in a heap o' hurt! :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
One other thing about laundry room food storage- be careful if there are any strong scented cleaners. I knew a lady that did a great job on dehydrating pears, then bagged them up and they picked up the perfumey scent of the laundry soap. :sick Glass jars would have kept them safe from it, or a different storage spot.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When folks comment on my buying in bulk I just tell them that I have food allergies and when foods I can eat are on sale I buy and buy big so that I can save a few bucks down the road... most don't even blink with all the talk of allergies in the news. They don't need to know that I am squirreling it away.. Most folks around here are on budgets and don't really look twice at the big amounts of one thing any longer.
And at our family reunion Sunday a few of my cousins(or their wives) and I got into a big discussion on making things from scratch like our founding family did. I mentioned that not only is it better food for us but that it really does save me cold hard cash. I also told them about how I have many of my grandmothers and great gran's cookbooks and have been trying to make(and tweak) and save their recipes into my big flash drive so that I might be able to pass those recipes(revamped to include the amounts as both my gram and great gran were " a pinch of this a dash of that cooks") that I have translated into modern cooking ..
I have run into a few that think that putting a garden in or canning or other wise saving said garden is a waste of time.. but I am glad to see that most of them are not that way. One of the wives stopped me and asked me to come to her car with her-she wanted to not only show me her knitting, but pick my brain on a few things privately. One of the biggies she wanted to know about was stocking a bigger pantry and how to store flour and make pita bread like I do... She even wants me to maybe come down later this winter(when things are much slower) and teach her, and probably a few more of my cousins to make the pita I have brought to the reunion before, from scratch and to pick my brain a bit more about the heirloom veggies that I grow and now to save the seeds(my aunt that I speak of and her big garden is her mother in law) that I am always chatting with my aunt about.. she also brought up the fact that oil will probably not last forever and if I had thought about solar or wind power--I really think that she was talking about prepping without coming right out and asking if I was a prepper.

I'm sure to be the topic of conversation soon as I have a rain check for deodorant/antiperspirant that was on sale for 10 for $10 11th free and I am going to buy 22 of them! I bought only 11 last time they were on sale and it is good stuff for the price and I only have 2 left(why do men go thru it quicker than women? is it the underarm hair?)-sure it is mens but I found out that the clinical stuff for women has 20% active ingredient and is super expensive and this stuff(arrid xx dry) has 19% for a buck!(well buck on sale) I buy half unscented and half with fresh scent.. I use them both--usually the unscented if I am going somewhere and want to smell more girly I just spritz a bit of perfume on. Oh well they can talk all they want I am still saving cash!