Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I bought 4 large jars of peanut butter just a few minutes ago. The clerk commented on me stocking up. I mentioned the scheduled price hike on peanut products. She had heard about it on the news and stocked up herself. She also said several people were making large pb purchases. Some people are paying attention at least.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's what I'm figuring Abi. Same with my coffee. I wish I would have bought more before. Expensive but surely going higher.

G

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we barely eat peanut butter. on sale here and I passed it by and said to hubby, should I get some? he said nah, we won't eat it LOL
I feel like I should be buying it haha

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hubby and DS measure the quality of civilization by how much peanut butter is available, lol! I have 4 of the big Adam's jars (2 lbs each) stocked, plus 10 lbs of peanuts to grind into butter (that will make about 7 1/2 lbs more), and a couple of jars of the cheap stuff to mix with suet for the wild birds.

W

We may also see some shortages in sugar. The yields are down in sugarcane producing areas of Asia because of weather, plus the rain is delaying the cane-crushing.

Looks like we are "living in interesting times"

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think this just reinforces the fact that basics should always be stocked and stored. Sugar, grains, peanut butter , coffee etc... This way there is some flexibility. I have two rather large natural peanut butters I bought last month from Azuee they should last a while.

I'm just going to keep my eyes open for sales.

G

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I bought 4 large jars of peanut butter just a few minutes ago. The clerk commented on me stocking up. I mentioned the scheduled price hike on peanut products. She had heard about it on the news and stocked up herself. She also said several people were making large pb purchases. Some people are pating attention at least.
I'm also stocking up on peanut products. No one noticed, though. Except my wife, who was a little annoyed. But I'm the cook, so I can pretty much do whatever I want, as long as I'm within the budget.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read up on the peanut butter....seems Texas and Georgia planted cotton instead of peanuts for the higher prices. Those states nailed the peanut butter troubles.

plus wild hogs etc are devasting peanut crops etc. and hogs don't eat cotton

I did a fast check on why pb was going to increase and found a few blurbs.......anyone else find more?

so sad we rely on a few 'big farms' to give us all our products.

good reason to eat local and buy local again right? LOL

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What completely & utterly shocked me is that I saw a story about the increase of PB prices on NBC Nightly News!!! A story to actually try to wake up the sheeple??? :th