Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I read up on the peanut butter....seems Texas and Georgia planted cotton instead of peanuts for the higher prices. Those states nailed the peanut butter troubles.

plus wild hogs etc are devasting peanut crops etc. and hogs don't eat cotton
Most of the cotton fields here in Low Georgia were soybeans a couple of years ago. What happened is the cotton crop in India was especially low, so Ga farmers are taking the opportunity not only to grab higher prices but also to grab the cotton market back from overseas.

My neighbors are bringing American production back - be happy for them

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
tell more 2bz cause I didn't see it.
Just a 20 second soundbite last week (I'm pretty sure it was during the week b/c Brian Williams was the anchor) saying the price of PB was scheduled to go up 30% in November due to weather or some such. I had already read it here on the forum, of course, but when I heard it on the Main Stream news, I knew I better get my butt in gear! ;)

Edited to add link. Here it be! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44897037

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
. . . plus wild hogs etc are devasting peanut crops etc. and hogs don't eat cotton . . .
I'm thinkin that this would be a good reason to somehow work around the liability issues and have hunters come in to shoot the wild pigs by the hundreds. Most hunters I know would just love to have a chance at it. But with our litigate society property owners are stopped from allowing hunting.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL 2bz...weather is the excuse they used...hmm...they need to expand on that story for sure HAHA

yea Boo--those wild hogs down there are devasting to crops and people. They do allow open hunts in many areas. Hubby wants to join this outfit that has open hunting...they lure in hogs with feed stations and you are allowed to wait and shoot the hound out of them. They want them all gone if they can....but those hogs are unbelievable in survival. They can not control the population. HEY maybe instead of deer birth control they need hog birth control :lol:

but yea that is alot of meat needing to be used for sure....they estimate the damages from wild hogs into the millions--wow

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh and if folks think that it is only down south it is not.. I was curious and checked and found that they are finding large and growing wild hog populations in Michigan.. so it will soon be everywhere.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a five gallon bucket of raw wildflower honey (local) from the co-op along with some whole oats for flaking for oatmeal. The honey will go into the occasional sweet goody and for making mead.

I just picked some clover for my bags of meat....er.....I mean for my hogs. They love their salad after all their free corn and pumpkins. I sure wish it were cold enough to make some bacon!

I am not a hunter but often (more lately, as I feel the meat from wild animals is about the most "properly raised" and practically organic meat you can get) wish I were. Like yesterday when I saw large deer tracks in a field surrounded by lush greenery, and when I see fat wild turkeys everywhere around here.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My SIL is from Wisconsin and she says the carp take over the lakes. Carp are the enemy up there apparently.

well prices are soaring for sure! My campground in Cherokee NC. I paid $55 per night (which was high for what it was), then it went to $65 and last checked it was $72.99 per night!

Well guess what....I checked for Thanksgiving and it was $89.99 per night and summer rates were $99.99.

Regardless to say, I will never camp there again. No way paying those prices lol

I found a great campground in Gatlinburg amongst the christmas lights and festivities for $32 per night....NOW that is my cost.

But what scares me....are all campgrounds going to do the 'big hit for increased prices" cause truly....the old wallet can't handle much more.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, carp are "garbage fish". If you catch em, you either throw them in the trash or use them for fertilizer in the garden. You DO NOT throw them back. Now, you CAN eat carp, but you need to catch them during spring run off or they taste horrible. Carp and suckers caught in the spring and smoked are delicious.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm fortunate on the peanut side of things... that is one of the major crops here. We just had a huge peanut festival with over 10k people attending.