Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've decided that if we need more nut butter than what I have stocked, we'll make some almond or sunflower butters

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any price increases in rice, or heard any were coming? I realized the other day that it's so easy & practical, I really should store more...so now I imagine the price will double. :rolleyes:

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked up peanut butter today at sams.. I got 2 packages of jiff making total of 4 jars... they were 8. 48 I think for each 2 pak... hubby wanted to just wait and buy the small jars at store.. well heck on sale jiff for the small jars is 2.18... if my math is good then that means the small jars will jump to 3.05 a juar.. the ones at sames were 4.24 each and are 2 1/2 lbs versed the little 18 oz jars..
These don't go out till 2013.. so should be good for a little over year.. hopefully by then price will come back down????

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's the hope. Prices spike. People balk at the new prices. Sales fall. Demand slips as more farmers will try to plant peanuts to take advantage of higher prices. Then you get a glut and prices drop again. Rinse, repeat.

If you buy and store when prices are low you can avoid buying when it is expensive.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the clairafication (sp)?? , hubby says all the stuff thats going up won't come back down.. I was hoping it would... I went bonkers and got a big order in august from beprepared .com when they had a sale.. two buckets each of rice, red and white wheat, oat meal. plus ordered dried fruits and vegetables... have been picking up pasta and putting it in maylar bags.
I'm trying to grind my own cream of wheat. ( note to self) set grinder on coarse before you turn on grinder. LOL.. the first batch is a mix of fine and corarse.. LOL..

I just grind maybe a cup and a half of wheat and place in jar and keep in fridge.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby could be right...but things tend to go in cycles. Of course, we are in unknown territory right now...so who knows?!?!

Better to have a stash of peanut butter than go without! LOL

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What's the shelf life of peanut butter? I have some beyond the sell by date..toss it?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
What's the shelf life of peanut butter? I have some beyond the sell by date..toss it?
I have eaten several different canned/bottled stuff after the best by dates... the only reason some of them have dates is that they are required to put one on by the gooberment. If worried open one and so a sniff/taste test..if it smells okay then do a small taste. The worst that could happen with peanut butter is that it may go rancid if not stored properly.. But you can tell asap with a smell and taste if it goes rancid.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
I have eaten several different canned/bottled stuff after the best by dates... the only reason some of them have dates is that they are required to put one on by the gooberment. If worried open one and so a sniff/taste test..if it smells okay then do a small taste. The worst that could happen with peanut butter is that it may go rancid if not stored properly.. But you can tell asap with a smell and taste if it goes rancid.
Just wondered if everyone else was crazy enough to eat stuff past the sell by dates :lol: I buy a good bit of stuff from salvage grocer's here in TN and a lot of it is past the sell by date :hu I'm not worried at all, just wondered what everyone else thought about it. I do find other use for things that are wayyyy past the sell by, but mostly we just use it anyway so long as it appears/tastes okay. Peanut butter usually doesn't last that long here though. No idea how this jar slipped past the starving masses :hu