Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
How about the friends who are starting to realize it but instead of being a bit more prepared....they keep tending their decorative landscaping and say, in perfect seriousness, "We'll be coming over to your house if and when...."

There will only be room for my family, who all roll up their sleeves and get right to work. In fact, we exhaust each other because there is an unspoken contest to outwork whoever you are working next to. :p
I tell the, out right I worked hard to make sure my family is going to have enough, I am not your mommy and daddy and there for you need to take care of your own.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about the stocking up.Done small scale,but going to kick it up a notch. I was reading this fiction series about the moon knocked closer in orbit.Changed the weather.Black outs.Less food. Makes me think often about what I would do if I did not have the option to go buy every day. I think about what I WOULD buy if there was some issue that caused people to rush the stores and stock up. I read Lundins one book when all hell breaks loose. I know people don't think it will happen,but it has over time like a cycle.http://www.codylundin.com/codys_house.html

I think I worry more about others taking my things by force than actually being able to survive. We could make it,but so many that do not prepare will turn hostile once they have not eaten or been warm for days! I am filling my garage with firewood and my garage side room with food and drink. I don't care what others may think I just hope they think we have nothing and pass us by if TSHTF.

On a side note my mum gave me a book called 2 old women.Very simple story about 2 old women that were left by the tribe to essentially die in the cold. It was tough times,and the tribe felt they could save some younger people if they got rid of the old. The old women for years had stopped doing much of anything except complaining and being taken care of by the others. When left they sat and cried,but then went into survival mode.All that they had learned over the years came back. They not only survived they THRIVED. They did so well that when the tribe found them(leader was looking since he left them out of guilt) the women were able to help THEM. It was a cool story. Sometimes we have to help ourselves,because the government can't or won't always be there to do it.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a question about stocking up canned/dry goods. Most of the store-bought stuff has an expiration date. How do y'all go about making sure your supply will be safe to consume when the time comes that you might have to use it?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
I have a question about stocking up canned/dry goods. Most of the store-bought stuff has an expiration date. How do y'all go about making sure your supply will be safe to consume when the time comes that you might have to use it?
By using it. You stock what you use and when you use it use the oldest first. When you buy more put it in the back of the shelf so the stuff that goes out of date first gets used first.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
dma1974 said:
By using it. You stock what you use and when you use it use the oldest first. When you buy more put it in the back of the shelf so the stuff that goes out of date first gets used first.
We use can-rotators . But I buy so much that I have to store in bins. Last months canned goods, 260 cans of soup, chili and ravioli all on sale! I buy super bulk, it saves me hundreds! Half a beef coming this weekend!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
dma1974 said:
That was sort of what I thought. So I really do need to do some planning for this. As in, how to store it so I can easily reach the back or restock.

Are there any items that any of you store that don't expire?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't pay much attention to expiration dates, within reason. (This is NOT to say that I don't use the oldest first, just as already mentioned). Expiration dates are, IMO, suggestions; law requires that some date be put on the food, but as long as the seal is still good, and there is no rust on the can, and it smells as it ought when I open it then I don't worry about it. It is important to not be silly with this - be aware of how it is packed, how it ought to look, smell, taste, etc. and use your best judgement. Things don't self destruct on the given date, though there may be a slight decrease in nutrition. On the other hand, if there is ANY doubt in your mind about whether the food is good or not, no matter what the date, then it should be discarded.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Expiration dates are, IMO, suggestions; law requires that some date be put on the food, but as long as the seal is still good, and there is no rust on the can, and it smells as it ought when I open it then I don't worry about it.
This is exactly what I was contemplating. That it's got more to do with mass production and such. I'd always been under the impression that if it was rusted, dented, or had ever been frozen (in the can) that it wasn't good. Well, dented just needed to be consumed asap, the others - rotten.

ORChick said:
Things don't self destruct on the given date
Could you imagine?? LOL!!! Little cans exploding all over the place.... haha!

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
How about the friends who are starting to realize it but instead of being a bit more prepared....they keep tending their decorative landscaping and say, in perfect seriousness, "We'll be coming over to your house if and when...."

There will only be room for my family, who all roll up their sleeves and get right to work. In fact, we exhaust each other because there is an unspoken contest to outwork whoever you are working next to. :p
Wish there was a like button on this thing!

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I tell them not to come. We will be buggged out and/or locked down. I am facing this issue with my sister.