Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a list of friends I would take in a heartbeat because they are like us and if we needed anything they would help us. We are a farm type group and we are sturdy and hardworking and independent types.

I am lucky I don't have the moochy friends or family :)

well, one or 2 in hubbys side that are useless and wouldn't get a bone thrown out them if they were starving from me :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hiker said:
I tell them not to come. We will be buggged out and/or locked down. I am facing this issue with my sister.
bugging out I understand but would you not let your sister come over if truly needed? I know I would never turn away my brothers. ever. I know I would moan, but I sure would share with them. (Plus I have enough to share thank goodness put up) OF COURSE this is just me!!!!! It just throws me when I see this written, but I don't know the circumstances at all of course.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of helping my sister in all honesty. My brother and parents and niece ..even most friends and neighbors on the other hand...I'd be glad to help. Sister is one of those types that are perpetual takers, and she'd happily watch us all starve if she could manage to get the last of the food :/ I'm not planning on sharing with her. I might give her a can of beans, point her in the direction of the road, and push her off my front porch, but beyond that...not much I can do for her. :p Isn't that MEAN?! :lol: So I see both sides. She is one of very very few I wouldn't feel badly about not helping. I can't even think of anyone else off the top of my head. :hu

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ouch!!! I think most of my family would pull their share...both my birth family and inlaws.
Now I have a few relatives and friends that might show up, but I think I would put them to work in a nice way, with a smile, saying,"Well sure I have a little sugar and flour you can 'borrow.' I'll be inside in just a bit, can you please help me finish up these roosters? I wanted some chicken for supper. Thankyou so much." ......"Oh and DH, please go out there with Charlie and fix that gate on the coop, before the coons help themselves tonight."
I mean, if family is good for a handout, they should be good for a helping hand too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well that's just it...she would expect the handout and fully expect it to be just that. She wouldn't lift a finger. :/ I hate that she's like that...we have to set up so many personal boundaries with her for that reason. She is a perpetual selfish child which is really unfortunate for her. She's smart, and could do so much, but she's lazy and thinks batting her eyes will get her anything she needs. I hate to be that way to her, but that's the only way you can be with some folks.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I'd help who ever I could, but not sure they'd want my kinda help. I think I'd rather map out their yards and look at what all they have and tell them what I'd do if I was them, under their current situation and if I possibly could, spot them a few seeds if I had extra or a spent hen or 2 to get them started, tended their own needs. I mean, if I need to work, everyone else should too. I can cook a little extra beans sometimes, but its nice if people at least try. Everybody's got something they could be doing for themselves.
But really, all these same people right now are thinking me a nut, more than likely. You should see my sis-in-law's grimace when I am processing broilers. And MIL doesn't think I need to have a stock pile of goods in the pantry......she'll worry about that when the time comes, etc..... Yep....I'm paranoid.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah...I have tried to tell folks things aint gettin much better that they should start to prepare a bit, but nobody's ears are working :barnie Sister wants to stay in the city, so i highly doubt she'll come my way anyhow. She be one of the zombie looters if things start to break down. She has never worked for anything :/ I dunno how to help folks like that really. :hu

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am the only one in my family that lives on a "farm". But I have to say I would let my sister and her hubby come. She is a princess that won't let her kids go outside cause they will get dirty. But her hubby- my bil he is one heck of a worker! And her kids have been out here before and loved the 15 min she let them out of the van. Now I DO have relitives that would be met by a gun and told to leave. My cousin is the first one that would show up looking to be fed for free, and she is 26 and has 7 kids by 6 dads! No way!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm. Like maybe some of us need to have hidden pantries and keep our mouth's shut where our relatives go. If they think we suffering, maybe our dried beans are safe.
Man.....that's a lotta daddies. Don't wanna judge though. Glad at least 2 of them have the same poppa.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:th yeah that's the type of family member i'm talking about. Sheeesh though 7 kids...can't imagine!