Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Haha the food allergy thing is true for me, celiac Lol! But seriously that's a good reason no one can argue with it really...

On another subject I am staying with my parents right now because I am on crutches and in a cast for a crush fracture to my fibula and they are sweet enough to help me take care of my Great Dane pup. So I've been bringing up a few subjects for example this thread really got me thinking on my food storage and how pitiful it is and how if we did have a potable water shortage I would be done for, so I asked my dad one night how much we probably had in the pantry there and he said now including the out of date stuff probably 2 weeks worth... p.s. my mom is really bad about rotating out stuff that's about to go bad :) I'm trying to learn to do that better since I always hated getting sick from bad food as a kid that she said was fine. (I can laugh about it now) but it's still frustrating seeing all the wasted food at my parents house. I was also surprised that my dad and I talked about food storage for awhile without him calling me crazy for believing the conspiracies.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
I was also surprised that my dad and I talked about food storage for awhile without him calling me crazy for believing the conspiracies.
I think there have been enough stories out there about floods, drought, and winter blizzards that a lot more people are starting to think about having a few extra cans of soup or tuna in their cupboards, without thinking of themselves as "preppers". In the public mind, preppers are people that fill their entire garage with bottled water, toilet paper, and cans of gasoline, and have thousands of rounds of ammo. If the media and government would just stay out of it, stocking up would regain it's reputation as a responsible and patriotic thing to do; but right now THEY want to control the populace, and the easiest way to do that is to control the availability of food. DH read on another forum about a list put out by some official group of activities that indicate the possibility of terrorism (not the same list that is being circulated right now, with "night flashlights") among the activities listed were : strong support of the Bill of Rights (!) and growing a garden. I'm wondering if I should forget about the garden outside and set up my cellar with lights and start growing my veggies down there....:p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Britesea said:
...I'm wondering if I should forget about the garden outside and set up my cellar with lights and start growing my veggies down there....:p
Sometime in the last several months I read a news story of someone doing that, the only exception was that he was growing veggies in his unused attic dormer. For his efforts he was on the receiving end of a police raid. It seems that the police were using thermal imaging cameras in an effort to locate people growing pot inside their homes. With no other evidence than the heat signature of his home, he was raided, he and his family were held at gun point, and then him and his wife handcuffed for three hours as his home was ransacked (er, I mean searched). The police doing an estimated $3k of damage to his home, including knocking his front door down with the hinges ripped out. After finding nothing, he was handed a business card and told to submit a bill for the front door as the they left. :somad

If you decide to grow in the basement, I'd be sure to try out the new LED grow lights that don't produce a lot of heat. :/

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Britesea said:
...I'm wondering if I should forget about the garden outside and set up my cellar with lights and start growing my veggies down there....:p
Sometime in the last several months I read a news story of someone doing that, the only exception was that he was growing veggies in his unused attic dormer. For his efforts he was on the receiving end of a police raid. It seems that the police were using thermal imaging cameras in an effort to locate people growing pot inside their homes. With no other evidence than the heat signature of his home, he was raided, he and his family were held at gun point, and then him and his wife handcuffed for three hours as his home was ransacked (er, I mean searched). The police doing an estimated $3k of damage to his home, including knocking his front door down with the hinges ripped out. After finding nothing, he was handed a business card and told to submit a bill for the front door as the they left. :somad

If you decide to grow in the basement, I'd be sure to try out the new LED grow lights that don't produce a lot of heat. :/
Oh. My. God. :th

Just goes to show, it's tough to stay one step ahead of the "authorities" (and I use the term loosely :rolleyes: )

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, I was also going to say beware of the grow lights! I joke with my SO that someday I am going to try to grow veggies all winter under lights, and she said it would trigger a raid. I just do NOT understand how my druggie neighbors do it. We would be busted for tomato or kale plants and they....well....aren't busted for much of anything. (the police dispatcher told my SO straight out that we did not want to "fool" with them. They are "bad" people. :/ )

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL!! The last time the cops were here about my car being broke into, I was worried he would see my table set up on the porch with the light hanging over it and my tomato starts and think I was growing something else! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Traditional grow lights don't work anyway. Not enough lumens for good plant growth. The curly compacts work great though and don't burn up a lot of electricity or throw off a lot of heat. I keep basil alive and thriving all winter with those.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Juat remember leds are weak to emp because they mimic semi conductors like computer chips. And fry easier. I would still keep some type of glass grow lights cause they dont get destroyed as easily.....

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Traditional grow lights don't work anyway. Not enough lumens for good plant growth. The curly compacts work great though and don't burn up a lot of electricity or throw off a lot of heat. I keep basil alive and thriving all winter with those.
Good to know...thanks! :D

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Wifezilla said:
Good to know...thanks! :D
ditto

Latest posts