Stop bed wetting

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need help. My son who is five wets the bed everynight. I am getting tired of washing the sheets. He is getting worse in the last month. Last night be woke up and peed in his cloth diaper at 2 am. Then he went to the bathroom before putting another diaper on and going to bed. He peed in the second one this morning also. I have tried not letting him have any thing to drink a hour or more before bed. He doesn't drink pop or anything with a lot of sugar. I have been told my husband wetted the bed until he was 13 years old. I also found out my father didn't stop wetting the bed until he was 13 also. I hope it doesn't run on the family.

I am lost on what to do. I thought maybe someone could help me on here.

KaboomAngel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If it is getting worse could it be a medical problem (ie. bladder infection) or does he just have extra urination at night?:hu

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
He has never gone long without bed wetting. The longest time he has gone without wetting straight is 4 or 5 days. I think a lot of the problem is that he is a heavy sleeper.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A lot of times their growth spurts are the cause. While their body is growing larger and they are requiring more fluid and food intake, their bladder may not have caught up with their body. It really is a common problem. It runs in my own family. I would have him checked out by a pediatrician to make sure he doesn't have an infection, but other than that, there may not be anything you can do to help, even cutting fluids before bed, other than teach him how to help wash his sheets :hu I know he's just 5, but I think it would give him a way to help himself and if it's just laziness of not wanting to get up and go to the bathroom it will stop. I'm sure it embarasses him, he may not be able to help it though. Sometimes it's hard to tell. He may also be a really heavy sleeper and wake up just as he is peeing rather than before.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i dont have this promblem with my own children but do have the problem with my husbands children. well we nipped it in the butt.

we stopped giving them anything to drink after 630 and bedtime is 9pm.

i made them go to the bathroom at around 8 and then right before bed.

if they did want anything to drink after 630 they will get about a 1/4 cup of water at a time but not after 8.

and if they had a tiring day we would wake them out of their sleep around 11 and make them use the bathroom again.

edited to say the kids i speak of are 6 and 8

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 6-year old who is a VERY heavy sleeper. He has a pull-up that he wears every night. My son gets home at 5:00, has dinner by 6:00, but goes to bed at 7:00. I can't not let him have a least a little fluids to drink at mealtime. You need a little fuid to priocess calories. He has either milk or water.

It runs in my family. I wet the bed until I was 8. My aunt and her children have the same issue. She had problems with it until she was 8 or 9. Her daughter (my cousin but much younger) wore something at night until she was 8 years old. None of us have medical/bladder problems. Get something for the child to wear at night that won't be leaked through. They'll eventually grow out of it.

Remember that juice is also sugary? You said he doesn't drink soda, so... :hu As long as the child is getting plenty of fuilds during the day, limiting fluid intake in the evening shouldn't be a problem.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sebrightmom said:
He has never gone long without bed wetting. The longest time he has gone without wetting straight is 4 or 5 days. I think a lot of the problem is that he is a heavy sleeper.
We had a bedwetter until sometime after age 11. He was a VERY deep sleeper. We tried it all--alarms, then us sleeping in his room to wake him up when the alarm went off (he was dead asleep), waking him at around midnight every night, always limited liquids for supper and after (no soup, watermelon), rewards. Nothing worked. I believe he simply outgrew it.

Some things would work for up to 1 month at a time. And on his own he'd stay dry for up to 4 months at a time. But always he eventually wet again. Until now. I believe it has been nearly 1 year!!

Good luck. It is frustrating and very much runs in family. I was a bedwetter, as were both my parents. And I believe we were all quite deep sleepers. I was quite a sleepwalker in my childhood and would do outrageous things without waking up.

One thing that helped me was to put a plastic-lined bed pad on top of his covers. He slept on top of his covers, on top of the pad, and I would cover him with easy-to-wash blankets. That way we only had a pade and cover blanket instead of all the sheets and bedding.

As mentioned above, even though this isn't talked about that much once kids reach a certain age, this is VERY common among many kids and it does NOT necessarily indicate emotional/mental problems, as we were told once.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had issues with bed wetting as a kid. The issue was that I was a dead sleeper and I just did not wake up. I remember mom and dad doing everything they could to help me out, including many visits to the doctor. I finally just outgrew it. I would not drink anything a few hours before bed for many many years.

Now I just have that dream where you can't find a toilet to use, or when you do, it's out in the middle of a crowd of people. I know to wake up and go to the bathroom. I've been having that dream for the longest time.

A mattress cover and maybe a diaper for bed. I had to wear one when I was younger. It's less traumatic than wetting the whole bed. I did not stay overnight at friends very often.