Stop bed wetting

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry for your situation. I only worked with children twice. Once with severely handicapped children and once with a pediatrician. I have to agree with the other's. It was always an extremely heavy sleeper. Never experienced it much on my own. But if it runs on both sides of the family, I wouldn't stress over it much. I'm always more concerned about not tramatizing a child too much....not making too much of a big deal outta nothing. Self-esteem is big with me. I'd just purchase some real absorbant underpants (disposable) and have a couple of hospital pads to keep under them, as an added precaution. That way the child can always throw it in the bathroom garbage, tie the bag closed and put it in the house garbage, so they feel like they handled the problem themselves.....so long as all this is explained to him.
Nothing wrong with stopping the fluids shortly after supper and toileting right before bed either, but these are my thoughts. I'm an old momma now and my youngest, who is now 4 sometimes has accidents......she is found sleeping in a wet bed, so I know she is out cold, which kinda confirms what others have said. This is a rare thing though. I'm sure your husband and father might be able to say what helped them. But there may be nothing much you can do but wait it out, so making it less tramatic for him and you might be your best move. Heck......try it all.

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DS wet the bed until 7th grade. He was also a very heavy sleeper. He wore pull ups, which luckly still fit at that age. He just stopped one night. And has been dry ever since. Hes 16 now so hes been dry for years.

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I read somewhere that bedwetting could be a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is cheap. Worth a try.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son saw a natropath who told me my sons bed wetting at age 10 was a result of allergies. She took him off glutin and the food he was allergic to and got processed food out of his diet and the problem went away. He was also given supplements which included magnesium. We just washed a lot of sheets. He was allergic to pull ups. Best wishes!!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
My son saw a natropath who told me my sons bed wetting at age 10 was a result of allergies. She took him off glutin and the food he was allergic to and got processed food out of his diet and the problem went away. He was also given supplements which included magnesium. We just washed a lot of sheets. He was allergic to pull ups. Best wishes!!
My friend did the same thing with her son and he stopped wetting the bed in two weeks. I have tried to do the samething with food and it helped a little but he didn't stop. I will get some magnesium and try that. Thanks everyone.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a weird one for ya...
My son wet the bed until he was 10. Heavy sleeper, plus `he has Asperger's, and socially he just didn't care. He has a lousy sense of smell, so to him it was just water. I made him do the laundry, took him to bed at midnight, etc. but nothing worked...until..I'm not kidding...he got his tonsils out.
He had had strep infections off and on for years. Finally, after TWELVE infections in one year, I demanded he get his tonsils out. The doctor hemmed and hawed and finally agreed. From that exact day on, he never wet the bed.
What's the connection? I have no idea, except that maybe he had an ongoing infection that tired him out and made him a deeper sleeper. It's all I can figure. But who knows.
I know how frustrating it is, but it won't be forever, at least.

happydog

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My youngest daughter wet the bed until this year. When she turned 9 I finally asked a doctor about it, thinking he'd recommend an alarm or something. Instead he made her pee in a cup and tested it. Lo and behold, she had a low grade, chronic bladder infection. It took a couple rounds of antibiotic to knock it out. And she hasn't wet since.

The doc explained to her that her urine was like a stream. It needs to be continually refreshed and flowing. She wasn't drinking enough and she wasn't using the bathroom often enough. Her urine was stagnant, in other words.

I sure wish I'd had her urine cultured years ago. :rolleyes: Ironically, the more she drinks (and pees) the less she wets the bed.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. I was a bed wetter until age 11, and heavy sleeper with many sleep disruptions (sleep walking, talking, night terrors). My mom said when we kids were little, she would put us to bed and a couple of hours later she'd hear us all bumping around in the dark, sleep walking.

Don't let "curing" it become an obsession by putting a lot of focus on it. That can make everyone unhappy. It is a physical immaturity (if it is not an infection or vitamin insufficiency) and it will resolve in its own good time. All of us former bed wetters stopped eventually.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have cruised this site for a while now but this post compelled me to join because my solution to bed wetting was the opposite of everything I ever heard.
My daughter wet the bed util she was almost 5. We tried most everything. She'd go to the bathroom both before she went to bed and a few hours later when we went to bed as even though bed time was 8 she was rarely asleep before then. We restricted fluids, changed foods, etc. the restricted fluids really gave her a fit because she LOVED her water. Finally one night in frustration with her crying cause she wanted more water and saying she couldn't sleep without it I threw up my hands and remembered my line of faith in raising my two kids "they probably won't do this on their wedding night so for now just deal". I got her a water bottle down, filled it, gave it to her and told her to have at it. Generally we'd be washing the sheets any way so what difference did it make right? Well the next morning the bottle was almost empty but the sheets were dry. The next night she filled her bottle and went to bed. Again dry sheets the next morning and for ever more.
We think the trick was while she wouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom she would wake up to drink and then realize she needed to go.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that is a great solution. My grand daughter isn't that thirsty, tho. She and her sister will go practically all day without drinking or peeing. But she still manages to wet the bed at night. She just sleeps so soundly that you could set off dynamite beside her and she would only turn over in her sleep.
One thing others with your situation might watch for tho: persistant thirst is one of the signs of type 1 diabetes, so if your young'un is always thirsty, you might want to check with your doc.