Stores giving it away?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
TTs Chicks said:
I get a friend to go with me and we just enjoy spending time together and try to avoid the crazies :D
Smart use of the buddy system! ;) :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have gone every year, with my daughter and my nieces. We have made a day of it. When I lived in another town, my daughter came there to see what it was like in another town. I won't be able to go this year, as DD and her DH want to go together and I will watch the kids. I don't have much money anyway...

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
here is a safer idea ,except for your wallet that is: see if any online websites are doing anything for shoppers on Black Friday! Post them on this forum to enlighten those that want to stay in on that day but still reap the "rewards"

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Did ya tell him the suffering you went thru?
:gig

they gotta love us huh?
:p
Yea, he does - and I forgot to add he was at work that day - from 5 am on, so I had to do it, otherwise he would have done it. He is a shopping king, always looking for good deals.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Um, heck no!

I'll be sitting at the mountain house, lounging around the fire in PJs, eating turkey and cranberry sandwiches and leftover pies.

The closest I'll get to shopping on Black Friday will be sifting through the leftovers to get the right combinations for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I went last year by myself to Walmart to get a new camera and got a really good deal on some electronic photo frames and memory cards but the electronics section was atrocious. I don't think I'll ever do it again unless i specifically need something. Hubby needed the new camera for his waterfowl business.

I may see about getting something online though but I don't know what I would buy.......do they sell chickens online on Black Friday??? :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
IIRC, last year WalMart and maybe target, not sure, opened up Black Friday online purchases at midnight so people wouldn't have to leave their homes. I am not sure, but I think I am recalling that.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My GEEK son bought me this very monitor I am looking at now for Christmas a few nights back at a Black Friday event. I think it was Best Buy.

Anyway the store had pre-inventoried all of the "Big Sale" items and printed up a coupon for each of the items. When the crazies were lining up in the wee hours of the morning the store had, in addition to plenty of security, some staff members that started at the beginning of the line and asked each person WHY they were in line. When they discovered what "Big Sale" items they were buying that morning they simply gave them the proper coupons. No coupon = no sale. All was calm. When the coupons were gone the item was sold out and other people in the line were informed of that fact.

Worked great.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
So, Black Friday shopping madness has waned. I barely spent $50, which was $50 more than I needed to spend, but anyway....

I had my choice of two WalMarts today. I chose the one in an adjacent town, thinking that it would be smaller and less crowded. Forgetting that it is a 24 hour WalMart.

Night before last, by way of backstory, I didn't get to bed until about 4:30 AM and was up at 7. So, after turkey dinner, I went to bed at 6:30 and slept until 12:30 this morning. I did some dishes, then worked at my typing for a couple of hours, finally heading out to WM at about 4:15. I thought I was a half hour early for the opening, so when I saw people leaving the store with their carts piled high, I realized I was late. However, I did miss the crush of the crowd and potential for being trampled because I walk slowly, so it's all good.

Bad part? They were out of three of the five things I went there for. Good part again: I did get a coat for myself for $7 and some storage containers, a play set for 4 year old DGD, and some pyrex 2 qt casseroles for $2, PJs for the 4 year old for $3. Drove over to K Mart because they had down comforters for $20, but by that time they were gone, so I just came on home and went back to work. The shopping took about 20 minutes, and I waited in line for 90 minutes. Fortunately, the people around me were giddy with exhaustion and we all talked and laughed and had a great time.

Now, its nap time again....

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
You know the other day an article said Walmart has a new system in place for this day. I read the article title, but didn't read the article.

oops, I could have said something on this---but I don't shop the day so I didn't read what "new ways of control" they are going to have in place.
I heard Walmart is going to give out coupons for the big selling items, then you go pay for the item when you are ready to leave and pick it up? I did not see an article but this would be a good idea. People get crazy. I stay home.