Storing jars of food.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are several nice ideas for making rotators for store bought cans. Anyone have a way to store and easily rotate home canned food?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Only way we do is put the old in the front and put the new in the back...

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's the way I'm doing it but was hoping someone has some clever way to do it. I looked at the can rotators but I don't want to turn the jars on their side.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Tupperware(?) used to make a soda can pack for the refridgerator that held 12 cans. You load into the top level, and as you take a can, they drop down to the bottom level from the back. it works totally from gravity, the two levels are very slightly angled down and the back has an opening for the next can to drop. I always thought that would be awesome for a pantry to make sure cans were rotated properly all the time.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Tupperware(?) used to make a soda can pack for the refridgerator that held 12 cans. You load into the top level, and as you take a can, they drop down to the bottom level from the back. it works totally from gravity, the two levels are very slightly angled down and the back has an opening for the next can to drop. I always thought that would be awesome for a pantry to make sure cans were rotated properly all the time.
We use something like that for store bought cans. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that with mason jars.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
There's these things from Lehman's, but they are pricey!

We do it Buffy's way :)
Thats how I'm doing it but I was hoping someone had a more efficient way.

Those jar containers would be good for travel and camping. Right now I am using the box the jars come in but to add more jars means taking boxes out of the cabinet and having to move them around. Maybe I can make one of those 2x4 and plywood rotators and just leave room for an upright jar to slide down.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think it'd be easier to build the pantry with moveable shelves out from the wall so you can get behind them and stock the new behind the older foods.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My method does not require moving alot of jars around but does use more shelf space [maybe]. starting with a empty shelf this years cans start filling from the left side and from the back to the front. As you use items this year you start from the left front and work to the back so the shelf empties from the left. Now if the shelf isn't empty when you can next year you move any part row to the floor and Flag the first full row of the old jars. Again you fill the space from the left rear but use the old jars [from the floor to complete the front left row with these cans so they will used before the new jars behind them when the right side is all gone. If you keep canning more than you are using either expand the space or continue in a whole new space.
Since my storage is not well lighted [and I am a control freak] I keep a storage diagram/inventory in the kitchen so I know [or can show/tell others] exactly where to go. It also gives me some Idea of what I need to can and what might be too old to trust. ~gd