Storing jars of food.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
There are several nice ideas for making rotators for store bought cans. Anyone have a way to store and easily rotate home canned food?
I was always taught to keep the jars upright. 'Jars on their side can leak and blow out, then where would ya be?!' :hu Don't know if it's really true, but I always store them upright. That said, I rotate stuff pretty much the way gd does (including the control freak stuff, but that's because of hubby, not me). DH had talked about building me roll out units - so I could roll them out, load my most recent canned goods from the back, and roll them back. I am not about to ask about them, I'm sure they're 'on his list' and for now, left-to-right is working just fine :p

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking about it last night. I think if I build shelves 5 jars deep then I can put dividers, like the rolling shelves, and load on the right side and push them down to the left then pull from the left. It would take a bit more effort since the shelves will be flat but that would put the first in on the left and put the new stuff in on the right. I figure if I build it 5 jars deep, 5 rows high and fit it into the 36" space I'm looking at it would give me room for 225 jars.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
That's the way I'm doing it but was hoping someone has some clever way to do it. I looked at the can rotators but I don't want to turn the jars on their side.
I've been using Tattler lids, and one popped open when it got knocked on the side of the lid---the sort of jostling you'd expect in one of those dispensers. Only happened once so far.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
terri9630 said:
That's the way I'm doing it but was hoping someone has some clever way to do it. I looked at the can rotators but I don't want to turn the jars on their side.
I've been using Tattler lids, and one popped open when it got knocked on the side of the lid---the sort of jostling you'd expect in one of those dispensers. Only happened once so far.
Thats why I was looking for something that doesn't turn it on its side. I just started using the tattlers.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
are the taddlers to be recommend for reusing??? just bought a canner the figs are beating me right now.... so i have to catch up quickly!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The tattlers are reusable. Mine are on their second go around but there are some (on here I think) that have been using them for years.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
The tattlers are reusable. Mine are on their second go around but there are some (on here I think) that have been using them for years.
so you think they are worth the investment in constrast to conventional ones?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
terri9630 said:
We've looked into them, and were about to buy a load, but while googling around we saw a lot of blog posts about people chipping the edges when they open them. Now I know I would be careful, but not sure about my hubs and my teens, so I decided not to go for it. But other than that, all reviews I've seen have been very positive :)

I do have nearly 200 reusable glass lids that work the same way--glass lid, rubber ring, regular metal band--that are absolutely wonderful. The glass lids are old, but apparently (based on how many I keep finding in thrift stores and on freecycle and kijiji) quite common in my area, so I've amassed quite a few over the past couple of years. The rubber rings are reusable like the Tattler ones so until any of them wear/stretch out, canning has become much cheaper :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
terri9630 said:
You have to be careful opening them but we havent managed to break any yet. Tattler has a small key chain opener to make it easier. I plan on ordering more here soon. I don't like disposable stuff very much.