Storing jars of food.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here is a cool way to store cans. I was thinking this would work with mason jars. If there is a concern about having them more upright I would incline the pitch a little more. Then have them slide the long way. just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnXfO7YMfk

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They really are cool, I love them :)

It's getting really dark at the moment because a storm is rolling in, so these aren't great photos--just grabbed my cell phone to get a couple of shots for you:

glass-jar-tomatoes-1.jpg

glass-jar-tomatoes-2.jpg

I've never tried them for pressure canning because they are old (most of mine came from one lady, just over 100 of them, and they are all marked "53" and from what I understand this is the year they were made).

I should really get around to taking photos of some of my cool jars, I think we have a lot more variety here in Canada than you do in the US--you really only have Ball and Kerr brand jars, right? These days we can only buy Bernardin brand (also owned by Jarden Home Goods like Ball and Kerr are) but we also used to have the Dominion Glass Company, and up until around 10 years ago Consumers Glass in BC also made canning jars.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
terri9630 said:
The tattlers are reusable. Mine are on their second go around but there are some (on here I think) that have been using them for years.
so you think they are worth the investment in constrast to conventional ones?
They cost about 3x more than dome lids but can be used more than 3 times. I've heard 10 uses per rubber ring. The marketing hype gives examples of people using the lids for decades, but there's no detail about how many times each ring was used. I decided to make the investment because the price of single-use lids dominates the year-to-year cost of food preservation. Even with the cost of replacing the rubber rings every 10 uses, they only cost 2x more than dome lids, so you're saving money if they last for 3 uses.

I haven't ruined any lids yet, but I've definately noticed that the edges are more delicate than metal lids. It's good to know that this is an issue that other people have had. As usual, you can't depend on sales brochures to tell the whole story.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been using tattlers for a few years now. Love them. Have had no problems with edges chipping. I use a keychain opener like tattler sells but I got mine free from conferences, home shows,etc. tattler does some specials every now and then especially around holidays. I got my last supply of 100 each wide mouth and regular for 40% off (about $85). That was a markdown.com special. Even at full price I had figured it would only take me a few uses and I'd recoup all costs and then would be on the gaining side. My only problem is making sure I get them returned if I share some canned goods with friends or family. But if I think I'm inclined to share or am doing something specifically for giving then I will get a few metal lids. But I really like the no waste thing. If you try them be sure to read up of how to use them. You just finger tip tighten the bands to process the fully tighten after removing from the canner. You can bust jars otherwise. I do miss hearing that satisfying ping of a jar sealing though.

Moolie, I envy you. I would love to have some of those glass lids. Especially to go with my oldes jars. I have several jars that date back to pre WW2 (quick way to guess that is round as opposesd to slightly square is pre WW2). I do have a few glass lids and have pressure canned with no problems. For the most part I see those glass lids as tougher than the jars. If you ever have too many feel free to let me know.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Flytyer24 said:
Here is a cool way to store cans. I was thinking this would work with mason jars. If there is a concern about having them more upright I would incline the pitch a little more. Then have them slide the long way. just a thought.

That is exactly what I was thinking of building except tall enough to have the jars upright.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Justme said:

Moolie, I envy you. I would love to have some of those glass lids. Especially to go with my oldes jars. I have several jars that date back to pre WW2 (quick way to guess that is round as opposesd to slightly square is pre WW2). I do have a few glass lids and have pressure canned with no problems. For the most part I see those glass lids as tougher than the jars. If you ever have too many feel free to let me know.
I am so glad to hear that they work in the pressure canner!

Yes, they are really robust/thick/built to last, but some that have come with jars I've picked up at the thrift store (Value Village sells canning jars for 29c each, even the ones that come with the glass lids!) have had chipped edges so I know they do break.

I'd love to keep my eyes peeled and pick some up for you, unfortunately around here all there is are the Gem/Jewel/Corona size--these jars have a mouth opening that is sized in between "regular" mouth and "wide" mouth. I don't think this size is common in the US, it seems to be just a Canadian size.

I did recently pick up a dozen regular mouth "Presto" glass lids off eBay though, they came with rubber rings and cool aluminum rings that say "Good Housekeeping Approved". I also now have 2(!) wide mouth Ball glass lids that came in a box of jars that I picked up last week. So you might try looking on eBay for them if you want some more--watch the pricing though, some listings had really high shipping costs!

I'm not totally sure the rubber rings I got with my eBay glass lids are any good any more--they are way stiffer than the ones I can buy new at Canadian Tire for my Gem jars. I plan to can some water as a test, then if they don't work anymore I'm thinking about buying some of the Tattler rubber rings to use with them, since CT only carries the Gem size.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Flytyer24 said:

That is really cool--amazing how much can fit behind a sofa! We don't buy canned food, but if you could make the idea work for jars I think you would be set!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use one of these for opening my lids.

canopener.jpg

It opens even the metal lids without any damage since it spreads out the pressure. We have one in each of our bug out bags. I'm no good using the can opener part, don't have that down and need to practice more. They also have a corkscrew on them that I've never used.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Justme said:
I have several jars that date back to pre WW2 (quick way to guess that is round as opposesd to slightly square is pre WW2).
I have some squared jars! I didn't know that they were pre WW2! Wow, that is so neat to know. I knew thay were old, just not how old. I NEVER give any of my squared jars as gifts. Now I treasure tham even more. Thanks for the info!!! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
Justme said:
I have several jars that date back to pre WW2 (quick way to guess that is round as opposesd to slightly square is pre WW2).
I have some squared jars! I didn't know that they were pre WW2! Wow, that is so neat to know. I knew thay were old, just not how old. I NEVER give any of my squared jars as gifts. Now I treasure tham even more. Thanks for the info!!! :)
Actually, I'm not sure that's true. It's long been my understanding that squared jars are more common in Canada than in the US, except for the new "Collection Elite" Ball jars that are square. I grew up eating canned fruit out of square Canadian Kerr, Consumers, Dominion Glass, and a few Bernardin jars that my Mom bought in the 70s, so those definitely aren't pre-war. So what you may have is actually Canadian jars :)

In Canada it is actually far more likely that the round jars are older than the square.

I have literally hundreds of Improved GEM, Jewel, Crown, and Corona jars that are from the 1950s (based on the dates stamped into many of them). Lots are older, I have 2 really cool Crown jars and a "Beehive" jar that I just obtained that have a completely different lid style. I'll have to take photos and post them, they are just too cool :)