Stuff you had no clue was edible...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Uh, yeah. I don't do mushrooms. Once in college but no more. Seriously, I would never pick & eat wild mushrooms, I know that is dangerous and many experts have gotten sick and several have died from "positively" identified shrooms.

Maybe I should clarify the above, I don't do look alikes (edibles that have dangerous lookalikes), I don't trust one single edible guide, nor do I trust one single picture. But when multiple pictures show the same plant in different landscapes & times of the year and they all match what I have in my yard, I'm going to do a field test. When I'm in the slightest bit of doubt, I don't eat it.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Ah, the coffee reference made me think about acorns. We make tea with them. Shell them, wash them & discard any black or discolored ones. Soak them overnight in fresh water, rinse then soak once more. Then simmer a cup of acorns with about 2 quarts of water for 15-30 minutes. Strain out acorns, add sweetener and enjoy. You can usually brew 4-5 batches from one batch of acorns. The newer acorns require less simmering time than those that have been used a time or three.

We tried roasting them for coffee like many wild foodies say to do, but they were horrible. Tea is way better.

So no rolly polly taste test? Awww, I was actually getting excited. :p I might have to do it anyways.

Urban dreamer, the way I've found some edibles in my yard was to search for wild edibles in general, write down the names & then search for pictures online. I have chickweed, purslane, yellow dock, wood sorrel, sheep's sorrel and nut sedge all growing in my "lawn".
We have acorns! :D The problem I'm having is I don't know what I'm looking or what to look for. I will have to do a search.

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok I just stumbled upon this thread, so I have to add my 2 cents ;)

Queen Anne's Lace. I never knew it was basically a wild carrot and the root are edible :D

Just curious - Did anyone ever try those rolly polly bugs?? :pop

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Buncha woosies!

My ducks ate the rolly pollys and said they are delicious :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
MysticScorpio82 said:
Queen Anne's Lace. I never knew it was basically a wild carrot and the root are edible :D
Whoa, be REALLY REALLY careful there... poison hemlock and water hemlock look almost exactly the same and people have been poisoned by mistaking the one for the other.

Learn to tell them apart, and exercise caution.

Pat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There are 2 very safe ways to tell the difference. Queen Anne's Lace smells like a carrot. If it doesn't smell like a carrot, don't eat it. Plus if you look at the "flower", in the center, more often than not, there will be one single purple one.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What an interesting thread! Thanks for reviving it!
:pop

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just read through every post. I was really counting on seeing someone eat a rolly poly bug. Isn't anyone brave enough?