Stuff you had no clue was edible...

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
There are 2 very safe ways to tell the difference. Queen Anne's Lace smells like a carrot. If it doesn't smell like a carrot, don't eat it. Plus if you look at the "flower", in the center, more often than not, there will be one single purple one.
Good to know! Thank you guys :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to have to tell my 4H kids that rolly pollys are supposed to taste like shrimp. Maybe one of them will be brave enough to try it and report back. (BTW, how long do you cook them, and how do you tell when they're done?)

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blackberry, strawberry and rose leaf tea are not too bad. Weak flavor but nice and no caffeine.

Those darned wild onions that grow in my yard - been told they are good in small quantities. supposed to have a pretty strong flavor.

Lilac flowers. Just read they are edible. Hope they taste as good as they smell.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like this thread too. Keep em coming...I can't wait to try acorn tea. The rolly poly's now, those I think I'll take a pass on for now. Good to know though.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, I'm going to have to tell my 4H kids that rolly pollys are supposed to taste like shrimp. Maybe one of them will be brave enough to try it and report back. (BTW, how long do you cook them, and how do you tell when they're done?)
I am sure it wouldn't take long! :lol: Just a quick dip in some boiling water to bring them to temp.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Raw roly-poly tartar does not appeal?

I remember the scene from the movie The Earthling that shows William Holden urging Ricky Schroeder to eat "grubs" because they tasted just like "rice." :sick

Anyone else see that old movie?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I learned the dreaded kudzu is edible. And my stinging nettle is good in a stir fry or omlette

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
After you dip the roly poly in the hot water to cook do you pull the legs and shell off like you do with shrimp or just eat it all?

Well........if someone is going to try it we need all the info. :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You'd need a teeeeeeeny little dish of cocktail sauce to dip it into...

(well, I'm not eating rolypolies WITHOUT cocktail sauce, that's for sure!)

My 6 yr old son taste-tests the dog kibble we buy, a piece from each new bag to make sure it's fresh. Now that we've switched from puppy to adult version food, he says the adult version tastes better. (Fromm brand). I think he's weird, but he DOES fetch sticks pretty well...

You know the weird edible I really like?

You will laugh at me for my science-geekiness, but, there is stuff called cerophyll agar (a common version of the agar you put into petri dishes to grow bacterial cultures on, made by adding basically finely-ground hay to the agar before you autoclave it) that tantalized me for some years with its yummy smell coming out of the autoclave and when you'd be pouring it, hot, into the petri dishes to set.

Eventually one day I tried some that was leftover in the flask, after it had cooled enough to drink but before it had gelled. Man, that stuff was GOOD!

I used to finish off the leftovers pretty regularly after that, whenever I was using it.

I would imagine there is probably some sort of hay-based tea that could be made to create a similar effect, but have never tried, it would never be quite the same.

OK, you can laugh now :)

Pat

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
I just read through every post. I was really counting on seeing someone eat a rolly poly bug. Isn't anyone brave enough?
Darn it... My daughter found the biggest, juiciest rolly polly this weekend under some leaf mulch. I shoulda boiled him up :lol:
*heavy sigh* So I guess I DO have to take one for the team? Ok, I'll get DD to work on the gathering... :lol: