Stuff you had no clue was edible...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
According to family legends.... My brother ate roly polys growing up. Just sit there and pop em in his mouth. om nom nom!!!

:drool

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
food is so diverse

what I consider food is not food to others yet what they eat I would kill with bug spray :lol:

we chatted about what would you eat etc. before and to me, it is all about what country you are born...what your food choices are and then, heck, do you like the taste lol

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
we chatted about what would you eat etc. before and to me, it is all about what country you are born...what your food choices are and then, heck, do you like the taste lol
Very much so. Diet is very cultural. My dad worked hard to diversify our diet growing up so we wouldn't get locked in.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good gracious don't tell me he fried up a plate of maggots for you?
:gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is more something her mom would do....by accident! :gig

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hah! Nope, but when we went out to eat, it was usually to a different country as often as we could find restaurants. Indian, Japanese, Thai...

And every time we went to the store we had to pick something from produce we hadn't had before. :)

mchl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just got back from the pond and caught a bunch of nice things called crappie and found a couple handfulls of morrel mushrooms. I will cook these up and tell you wether they are edible or not, but by all means try them rolly pollies. lol :)

mchl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I dont know about the rest of the states but this is my favotite time in missouri. fish, mushrooms, wild esparogus grows along the road everywhere, not quite ready yet, but close. Talking of tasting like shrimp, I was told to catch drum fish and boil in old bay seasoning and you cant tell the diff.