stuff

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am starting to look around for my two girls too. I don't even have any clue as to what it's going to cost me :rolleyes:
I was thinking about December also. I am NOT looking forward to having both of them kid at the same time... I am hoping to get a twofer :lol:
I was checking CL the other day and found out that we now have a goat rescue in our area, well sort of in our are. Close enough anyhow. They set up in order to save those poor pet goats that people no longer want. Coz some people might butcher them and eat them :p
I wonder if I could get a buck from them for a couple of weeks in December ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
homesteadmomma said:
Henrietta23 said:
freemotion said:
:lol: Told ya so!!!

You need to find a breeder like OFG's who will kid your does for you! (Don't even go there!!! :old )
LOL, I'm going to keep eyes and ears open for a Nigi breeder who might have a buck I can breed her to for mini-nubians. We'll see. We're visiting a local goat farm today. They have saanens and oberhaslis and may even be where the saanen our vet bred his oberhaslis to are from. They do cheese tastings on October Sundays so we're going with some friends. :drool
Guess I better figure out how I'll know when Donki's in heat......
I wish you were closer I would let you use my registered Nigi buck to breed her.
Me too! There are a number of nigi breeders out here but I don't happen to know any of them....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, if you can get a nigi, you will have more marketable kids for the pet market! Having more than one kid at the same time is an advantage, too, in that the kids are all about the same size and can stay together safely in the same stall, for example, if you are milking once a day and leaving the kids overnight. Having a single kid in a stall by herself was sad...poor Plummy, with her chicken babysitter!

BB, you forget that I am not in my 20's! Even though I outweigh little Dorian, I'd never win that type of battle. Never. Three decades ago, sure, now, NOPE!! :lol: Even back then, if a team was unfortunate enough to have me in the front line during a volleyball game....I was the one that ducked when the ball came at me! (My record for points when I was serving, though, was 20...in a row!)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That has got to be a great feeling, having all that hay.

We only have room for 4 bales at a time. In an emergency, we can store some in the dog pen and cover it with a tarp. We don't need as much as you though either. As soon as the rains hit, the weeds start growing like crazy and the critters can all eat those. We need more hay in the summer months and then we only need to protect it from the sun and rats.

We ran the sprinkler a few times this summer in the goat enclosure and you should see the weeds in there. It doesn't take much to get them to grow.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Denise, I envy you for that! This is why I can't keep a cow. Hay is so expensive, and cows eat so much. I'd want several more acres of pasture before I dare get a milk cow. In a drought year, sheesh, that would be expensive milk!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:ep :ep :ep :he :he :barnie

I TOTALLY would have flipped out 10x on her! :duc :rant :somad

You handled it WAY better than I would have. Wow. I'd be going berserk I bet. I hope Peach didn't eat too much!