Substitutes for Toilet Paper?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tallman said:
If you send 5 to both political parties, they will keep you in junk mail (paper) for years. Be sure to include your mailing address.
Or a TV preacher. That's listed as one of the ways to get even with someone, send a televangelist money in their name.

ETA which I would never ever do.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
When I was in grad school we went on a collecting trip up in the mts and stayed at the (very 'unimproved'!) cabin of an emeritus professor in the dep't. In his outhouse, instead of the canonical Sears catalog he had a copy of his last PhD student's thesis. (About 2/3 used up when we were there). I thought this was extremely funny, also made for good reading :)

(For anyone concerned about the student I should mention that he knew about this and thought it was hysterical :p)

If you're using leaves, it really pays to be able to identify poison ivy :lol:

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Or you could think of it as all that hard work being put to an ACTUAL GOOD USE :lol:

Pat, who used her only copy of her own dissertation to wedge a loose bit of carseat for years and years (worked real good, too!) and I have no clue what's happened to it since I sold that car :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of funny and interesting answers. Actually I opened the "for women only" thread and got ideas.

Seems you would maybe use wash cloths and keep a bucket of water with clorox in it to soak. This is where stashed clorox would just be essential!

But what to do when the clorox runs out? wash cloths wear thin?

I liked the corn husk idea, and the spray bottle? Maybe spray bottles for the whole family should be stored :hu

Leaves are great in the summer but not much help in the winter...

guess you could plan the morning dump just before shower time if possible, or rather, shower just comes right after, when ever that is.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my...DEFINATELY be aware of what poison ivy/oak leaves look like. When I was a child...many many moons ago...my sister and I collect " pretty red and orange, soft leaves" they were slightly fuzzy, so of course we rubbed them all over our faces. Yup, 2 days later, mother had us in the ER...Poison oak...IN the eyes, IN our noses, IN our mouth. Dont you know, we got our hides tanned but good...once we recovered. You could I suspect....strip the inside of a tree...behind the bark. Maple works really well...its thin and pliable. Of course....a good old rag works too. ( and maybe a rubber glove near the bucket!) :/

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In my youth, my gram use to wait until we were down to the last roll of TP before buying another 4 pack. Many was the time that she would forget and I would be the one who would get the last square and then have to use a wash cloth for the "finish work". This may explain why I now maintain a stock of around 100 rolls of the Scott 1000 sheet rolls in my basement! My husband thinks I am nuts but I don't care. IMO TP is one of lifes little necessities.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
On a trip to Scotland we used a restroom that actually had toilet paper. It felt like baker's parchment. We brought a square home to show our friends and family that the rumors were true.

Dh's mother grew up with an outhouse. They used any paper, crinkling and softening it the entire time while on the seat. She is one who stockpiles TP now, too.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So has anyone figured out how may rolls you have to stock to supply a family of 4 for a year?
Two years?
I don't think I have room.
I could strap it all together and make a guest bed out of it!:D

Latest posts