Substitutes for Toilet Paper?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Mackay said:
So has anyone figured out how may rolls you have to stock to supply a family of 4 for a year?
Two years?
I don't think I have room.
I could strap it all together and make a guest bed out of it!:D
Try for a family of 8!!! LOL!! I would need an extra house just for the tp!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Newspapers are great, but the Sunday Comics are the softest part of the paper. Used these plenty of times in the outhouse while growing up. While you are sitting, you can crumple and rub them until they are soft.

Sheeps wool is another thing that comes to mind...already presoftened with lanolin. I'm getting hair sheep this spring~they shed their wool in the spring, so I will be collecting it, washing it and storing it. Who knows when a person will need some nice, warm fiber? ;)

Corn cobs are not as bad as they sound. I've used them before and they do a good job.

I've even used a twist of broom sedge before during the winter time. If you've ever spent alot of time in the woods and living primitive, you've explored several options....even a nice handful of snow!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Of course, there is no set answer for how many to stockpile. It depends on the habits of your family, how many women of childbearing age, whether someone has IBS, etc! And what type of tp you prefer, how many sheets per roll.....so many factors!

So to figure it out, just make a note on the calendar when you open your next package, and note how many packages you use for say the next two months, and multiply by six for the year's total.

I just watch for the Buy One, Get Two Free sales and me and dh make as many trips that week as we can! I, too, have running-out-of-tp-issues, left over from traumatic childhood events involving running-out-of-tp! :lol:

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have stored up TP, we are a house of ladies with the exception of my 3 1/2 yr old GS. So I have serged off squares of flannel, towels, old t-shirts in a basket on the back of the toliet and use them--saving the TP for the big jobs. There is a small bucket along side of the toliet with a little vinegar water in it. My daughters also use mama pads and we used cloth diapers on GS. TP can be stored outside in a storage unit. Carolyn:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I have to ask those who use homemade tp.....how do you keep from accidently tossing the cloth in the toilet and flushing? I would do that over and over and over! Of course, I've thrown away lots of my flatware over the years by tossing, say, teabags in the trash and following that with the spoon without thinking. Yikes. I lost most of the spoons in a twelve place-setting set before I finally figured out what was happening to them... :he

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I expect that after the first time or two you have to reach into the 'used' toilet to retrieve the wipe you automatically tossed in there, or snake the toilet to unjam one that was flushed, it would be memorable enough you wouldn't be apt to make the same mistake again ;)

Pat

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In a desperate situation, I might try pages out of a phone book if I had access.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
By the end of the year we may just be using our dollar bills as it will be cheaper than spending them for TP. :lol:
We also have about 100 rolls stashed away.

Latest posts