Suburban Off-grid living

S

sunsaver

Thanks txhomegrown! I love this drafty old house, and i love the fact that i don't have to worry about money and bills anymore. It's like i'm a kid again and its endless summer. "Schools out forever!"

"School's been blown to pieces.":cool:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Thanks txhomegrown! I love this drafty old house, and i love the fact that i don't have to worry about money and bills anymore. It's like i'm a kid again and its endless summer. "Schools out forever!"

"School's been blown to pieces.":cool:
So can we see a pic of the outside of this drafty old house that is also the prettiest house on the block?

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am sure you can find this elsewhere, but this is about the best price I have found.

cleanairgardening_2160_360635564

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/portable-washing-machine.html

S

sunsaver

I'd love to send you guys some pics! I just don't want the general public to have very many clues as to my location. I've heard horror stories about utility company goons forcing off-gridders to rip out wires and re-do this or that up to code, to the point that they are broken finacially, and have to go back on grid. There's this one IE guy in particular, who trolls forums looking for off-gridders, so he can smash them with math, facts, studies, links, untill he crushes their character and all reason why anyone would want to go off-grid.

I'm trying to avoid these energy industry political operatives. Is there a way we can exchange E-mails privately? I also want to put up garden pics for all, just not the street view of my house. Those goons already have my ip address and my nearest city. They don't need a picture of my house! Yeah, i know that this seems very paranoid, but you'd be suprised how evil the oil and gas industry can get, especially when confronted by a big-mouthed david like me. :cool:

S

sunsaver

Cool washer! The one i saw on pbs was big, like an old 50's style electric "washer qween" . A big white tub. The crank handle was on top, i think. I'll search for it again. But i must say that old-fashioned ways are often just as easy as "new-fangled gadjets" I often wonder if most of the 20th century appliances were just a way for westinghouse to push for rural electrification. Convince the wife she has to have it, and hubby has no choice. Mommy needs a new Fridgedair! Get to work, boy!

It works the other way too. Daddy always gets his new bassboat, rifle, computer, big screen, etc. Please, no hate mail ladies!:lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
sunsaver, you can send a private message to any member here and ask for a regular e-mail address if you wish to exchange information and photos. Many of us have not shared our real names or pictures of our faces (although you can see the real me) so there is no need to give us your exact locale. some of us are "facebook" friends if you are a member there.

but the PM system here works really well also, you just have to clean out your inbox and sent box frequently as they get full, so sometimes it is easier to private-message with people via your regular e-mail address.

you can also post only X amount of pictures so everyone gets fancy with that but I'd have to let someone explain how as I just delete my older photos since I'm a computer brain-dead type.

We all especially enjoy seeing pictures of your SS projects. For instance, I'd love to see how you rigged your ice box. I'd rather see a picture of THAT instead of the front of your home.

Hope that helps. PM me if you would like to be Facebook friends.

S

sunsaver

I'm starting to get more comfortable here. Getting theatened, sensored, then completely deleted from a forum, just because i tried to help some guy who wanted to go off-grid, was somewhat tramatic. The same thing happened on another forum site, so i'm a little bit gun-shy. I tested the waters at a third site and got my foot eaten off by sharks immediately.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I'm starting to get more comfortable here. Getting theatened, sensored, then completely deleted from a forum, just because i tried to help some guy who wanted to go off-grid, was somewhat tramatic. The same thing happened on another forum site, so i'm a little bit gun-shy. I tested the waters at a third site and got my foot eaten off by sharks immediately.
We play nice :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think most of us here really just want to become more self sufficient and we enable each other more than hurt. We know we are all a teensie weensie bit quirky and we know we don't have to have matching quirks. :plbb