Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well it looks like we had some good discussion over Luke 2:1-14. Im glad!!

I have been thinking about how this Bible Study is going to work. We're going to choose a book at a time then each day read a chapter. Then come back on SS and discuss it. So today we are going to start Galatians. I have never studied Galatians, so this should be fun!

Scripture Reading for 12/20/10
Galatians Chapter 1

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I LOVE this Chapter in the bible!! It speaks volumes about the power of God and how He worked through Paul who was one of the MOST UNLIKELY candidates for the job which God gave to him.

I like how Paul immediately points out he is an "apostle not from men, or through men, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father."

I love this because prior to this Paul was a devout Jew, and bent on erradicating the Christians altogether, very zealously opposing and killing any Christians who happened to cross his path while literally hunting them down with such intentions. He was a Pharisee among Pharisees. Yet, here in the first 5 verses he is adamantly proclaiming Christ as his own Saviour!

Paul speaks of his own past conduct in verse 13. Then he speaks of his conversion on the road to Damascus and the things he did immediately afterward. Paul probably needed this time in Arabia(about 3 years) to let things cool down. Paul was well known by face and by actions amongst the Christians in his day. Now God was calling him to minister to the very people group he so zealously wished to erradicate. Not just any Christians though, he was being called to minster to the Gentiles.

You have to understand the Jews and Gentiles did not mingle in those days. I liken the seperation of Jews and Gentiles in that day to the racism and seperation that were rampant in our own country a few centuries ago. Imagine Paul a vicious slaveowner turned builder of the Underground Railroad and you get about the same contrast. These people were not in any way socially or otherwise compatible and were never even seen together. If you mingled with Gentiles you weren't considered a good Jew. You would be ostracised, maybe even killed for associating with such heathens. Gentiles were considered unclean by the Jews.

Paul then went on to Syria and Cilicia where he was "unknown by face" but he was still very much known by reputation, and they had heard about how he was now preaching the gospel and glorified God in him. Amazing!!! I love this Chapter!!

Anybody who thinks they can't be forgiven, or feels like they have done such bad things in life that God wouldn't want them on His side, or couldn't use them to do His work, need only look at this Chapter in the bible and understand who Paul was before and after to know that God can make ANYTHING happen!! He can use ANYBODY, and He will be glorified through them. I love love love this chapter!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have to admit, that I am probably not going to be able to commit to a chapter a day until the new year. The kids are home from school, and I have too much Christmas preps to do. Maybe we could read a chapter, and tehn dicuss it maybe for a few days, before starting on a new one. Once the kids are back in school, things should free up a lot for me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This passage stuck in my head...
12. The Law then did not emerge from Faith, except whoever performed those things that were written therein, came to live in the Faith.
13. Therefore, Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, who took on these curses on our own behalf. For it is written [in Scriptures,] "Accursed is he who is hanged by the Staff.*"

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I havent read my scripture yet. I will here soon.

Miss the north. Thats fine too!

Wifezilla will you be studying with us??? :fl

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wannabe free, I enjoyed your summary!

How did Paul's family react to his change of heart? Does anyone know?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
Wannabe free, I enjoyed your summary!

How did Paul's family react to his change of heart? Does anyone know?
It is debated whether Paul had a wife and family or not. Otherwise, nothing is really said about his fathers or mothers family other than the fact that Paul's father was a higher ranking Pharisee, and somehow or other Paul was a Roman citizen as well(probably his mothers side) which while imprisoned allowed him a great deal of leverage. The guards, when they found out he was Roman and he appealed to Caesar, were scared of him from that point on. Rightfully so, as at that time Roman citizens had protections in the area other folks did not. The fact that he was Roman and Jewish speaks volumes about how he managed to survive to do God's work and perhaps why this particular man was chosen to begin with. Had he been simply a Jew in prison, he might have been killed. As is he was severely beaten until the he pulled the "Caesar card." Then the playing field leveled a bit for him. I'm not real clear on all the details of what being a Roman citizen entailed, but it was definately of very much importance in the way prisoners were treated. Romans were in the conquering business at that point, and much like the U.S. protects their citizens, Romans were protected as well...apparently even abroad. Paul was born a man with influence in worldly things, and ended up a great influence in spiritual things ;) Can ya tell he's one of my favorite folks in the bible? ;)

Edited for speeling erorrs :p

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The part that stood out to me were the last 2 verses in the chapter:

Galatians 1:23-24
They only heard the report:"The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." And they praised God because of me.

The fact that the formerly persecuted Christians were amazed and quick to forgive Paul shows the love true Christians give. Only by the power of the Spirit can that happen. True Christians are known by the love they show for others. (I John 4:7-11) They also recognized it was not by Paul's own power that he did change but by the power of God. And therefore all the glory goes to God.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I just read Galatians Chapter 1

These verses really stuck out to me

13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from my mothers womb and called me by his grace, was pleased

21 Then I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23 They only heard the report: The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy. 24 And they praised God because of me.

True Christian Forgiveness!!