Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PickME.gif
Can a Jewish Believer in the Messiah come to this Study? I hesitate to say things on most forums many times, because... We do not see the Holy One in OT and the teaching of the NT as being all that much different. So.. at times our Jewish interpretations of the Bible can be at "odds" with some traditional Christian interpretations due to cultural differences of the Jews and non Jews. We tend to look at things from a Jewish perspective.

So.. I just thought I would ask permission before I say anything that might not be what is common/traditional interpretation of some passages.

BigSmile2.gif

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am nowhere near being an expert in any of this. I am still learning, so if I have things wrong, please correct me.

Galatia is where modern day Turkey is. so you can use that as a visual of distance from Rome etc. Most of the Christians here were former Jews, and as mentioned, OT was works based, in contrast to the NT which is faith based. Alot of the new(formerly Jewish) Christians had a very difficult time separating the two. They struggled with the fact that non-jews could be part of the kingdom of heaven. They tried to say the gentile Christians had to follow old jewish laws as well as believing in christ.

This is why Paul had to write this letter. the first 5 verses are positive and wonderful , but after that, Paul lays on a tongue lashing. He needed to address this in a way that they would have NO doubt what he was trying to say.

And even nowadays, there are false preachers out there all over the place, so Paul is talking to each and every one of us. Stay close to God. Keep your eyes on him. You are saved by grace through faith. NOT by works.

In my Bible, there is a liitle blurb at the beginning of each book, and an excerpt of it says. "Like Paul, defend the truth of the gospel and reject all those who would add to or twist this truth.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/PickME.gifCan a Jewish Believer in the Messiah come to this Study? I am afraid at times, because... We do not see the Holy One in OT and the teaching of the NT as being all that much different. So.. at times our Jewish interpretations of the Bible can be at "odds" with some traditional Christian interpretations due to cultural differences of the Jews and non Jews. We tend to look at things from a Jewish perspective.

So.. I just thought I would ask permission before I say anything that might not be what is common/traditioanal interpretation of some passages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/BigSmile2.gif
Personally I would LOVE to have your input :) Fresh perspective is always welcome IMO. I have friends who interpret things differently than I, matter of fact my best friend is a Pentecostal pastors wife...boy do we clash!! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Disclaimer: I am nowhere near being an expert in any of this. I am still learning, so if I have things wrong, please correct me.

Galatia is where modern day Turkey is. so you can use that as a visual of distance from Rome etc. Most of the Christians here were former Jews, and as mentioned, OT was works based, in contrast to the NT which is faith based. Alot of the new(formerly Jewish) Christians had a very difficult time separating the two. They struggled with the fact that non-jews could be part of the kingdom of heaven. They tried to say the gentile Christians had to follow old jewish laws as well as believing in christ.

This is why Paul had to write this letter. the first 5 verses are positive and wonderful , but after that, Paul lays on a tongue lashing. He needed to address this in a way that they would have NO doubt what he was trying to say.

And even nowadays, there are false preachers out there all over the place, so Paul is talking to each and every one of us. Stay close to God. Keep your eyes on him. You are saved by grace through faith. NOT by works.

In my Bible, there is a liitle blurb at the beginning of each book, and an excerpt of it says. "Like Paul, defend the truth of the gospel and reject all those who would add to or twist this truth.
I'm not positive on the geographical Galatia being present day Turkey, but it sounds about right. Other than that I can say I totally agree with what you have written. Nice new perspective. This is so cool...everybody brings something new to the table! Ya'll are cool :cool:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Wannabee, what is your church affiliation, if you don't mind me asking.
Technically Southern Baptist, but I personally believe claiming that exclusively would be like saying I am a disciple of Paul or Peter rather than Jesus soooooooo :lol: I'm a CHRISTian first, Baptist second ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wifezilla will you be studying with us???
As time permits. I find it to be a fascinating document even though I do not consider it the word of god. I do see at as very interesting insight in to the minds people through the centuries.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Who knows, you just might change your mind.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You can count me in but I'll probably mostly be reading what you say and reading my Bible, I have not read Galatians before so I'm still forming thoughts. But I'm here, too.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
And don't be afraid to ask questions, I'm sure I will have to at some time too. i have done the Fruit of the Spirit bible study with Beth Moore before, but am looking forward to this 'whole book' study. I am currently doing a 'whole book' study on Romans.