Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well we just got back from a Christmas play and I have been thinking about this Bible study group.

My idea is that we pick a book to read then each day read a chapter then come back on here and interpret, discuss it. What do you guys think?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Well we just got back from a Christmas play and I have been thinking about this Bible study group.

My idea is that we pick a book to read then each day read a chapter then come back on here and interpret, discuss it. What do you guys think?
That sounds good to me. :D Either a book or specific topic, or question. I don't know if I can do an entire chapter everyday, but I will try to stay up with you all ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:

That sounds good to me. :D Either a book or specific topic, or question. I don't know if I can do an entire chapter everyday, but I will try to stay up with you all ;)
Im going to try to do a chapter everyday. We need to do a prominent book most people are not educated in. Any suggestions?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:

Im going to try to do a chapter everyday. We need to do a prominent book most people are not educated in. Any suggestions?
Galations!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Galations!
Thats an idea!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Galations!
Galatians is where I have been doing a LOT of studying! So, I would personally be very happy with that, and I know I could keep up with you guys that way!! :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That may be the one. I want to wait and see what Beekissed says Im sure she will be all for this.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Interesting translations from Hebrew and Greek :) I like to dig a bit deeper and dissect every word to squeeze the truth out of the passages. You can't really do that easily just using English translations. Backtracking and finding Greek and Hebrew meanings of words is often very eye opening, and is my new favorite habit :D

Magi plural of magus, magos. Meaning simply "wise men" very similar to the hebrew word chakam.

Hebrew: Chakam means intelligent, skillful, artful or cunning man.

These were educated men in one form or another. No one knows for sure what country from which they came, but some have speculated it could have been Media, Persia, Assyria, or Babylon as these were the only places with known Magian preists at the time. Anyway...

Wise men apparently consisted of three different types: (1) astrologers, (2) Chaldeans, and (3) soothsayers.

Guess which was most likely the skill of the Magi who visited Jesus? Very likely astrologers, as they followed the star to find the child. It doesn't say particularly but one could easily make that assumption.

The bible doesn't specifically say that there were 3, this is an assumption from the number and types of gifts that were given to Jesus gold, frankincense, and myrrh. The gifts reflected the aspects of Christ's nature: gold to a king, myrrh to one who will die, and incense, as homage to a God. These gifts were very expensive gifts, thus the assuption as well that these men may have been kings or at least very wealthy maybe even prominent men. You can draw your own conclusions, but this, to me, sheds a little more light on the circumstances of the Magi's arrival, and gives a deeper sense of their intent with such gifts. They came to worship, and they came on a long journey to do so, bringing the Messiah only the finest of gifts. I think it's sweet :)
There's actually a deeper meaning to the gifts than just the expensive involved. I'm not sure if I remember now exactly what it is w/out looking it up, but I seem to recall that the gold was to signify His royalty. The frankincense His role as priest, and the myrrh was used for embalming, thus signifying His death.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah there are a couple different meanings I have come across for the gifts. They signify different things each, but generally the same idea. I posted the meanings in that quoted part ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I like that part about gold to a king, myrrh to one who will die, and incense, as homage to a God. Thats good!