Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/PickME.gifCan a Jewish Believer in the Messiah come to this Study? I hesitate to say things on most forums many times, because... We do not see the Holy One in OT and the teaching of the NT as being all that much different. So.. at times our Jewish interpretations of the Bible can be at "odds" with some traditional Christian interpretations due to cultural differences of the Jews and non Jews. We tend to look at things from a Jewish perspective.

So.. I just thought I would ask permission before I say anything that might not be what is common/traditional interpretation of some passages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/BigSmile2.gif
I personally would love your input! I like to look at scripture from different perspectives.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Rebbetzin said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/PickME.gifCan a Jewish Believer in the Messiah come to this Study? I am afraid at times, because... We do not see the Holy One in OT and the teaching of the NT as being all that much different. So.. at times our Jewish interpretations of the Bible can be at "odds" with some traditional Christian interpretations due to cultural differences of the Jews and non Jews. We tend to look at things from a Jewish perspective.

So.. I just thought I would ask permission before I say anything that might not be what is common/traditioanal interpretation of some passages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/2008 new icons/BigSmile2.gif
Personally I would LOVE to have your input :) Fresh perspective is always welcome IMO. I have friends who interpret things differently than I, matter of fact my best friend is a Pentecostal pastors wife...boy do we clash!! :lol:
I think it would be great!! If you believe Jesus Christ is the savior you are welcome here!!

Galatia is around Turkey. I searched that this afternoon.

Denim Deb, did you read chapter 1 yet?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh, and I just wanted to clarify in my post, that the reason Paul was so forceful about admonishing the Galatian churches, was not becasue they 'were doing it wrong', it was because of his love for them and for Jesus. If they continued on the road they were on, it would lead them straight to hell. We are saved by faith--not works, as in keeping the law. The Judaizers were pushing the law, and they are who paul was talking about in vs 8 &9.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yeah, I read it. I'll be posting more later, when it gets quieter around the house.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Yeah, I read it. I'll be posting more later, when it gets quieter around the house.
Okay. I hope this study goes well.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What I am getting from this reading of first chapter is that Paul is attempting to give the believers in Galatia his credentials, and why he feels he is qualified to speak to them. Basing this on his belief that he was uniquely chosen/called out/taught by the L-rd Himself.

And Paul was uniquely called by the L_RD. He knew first hand the change that is made in one's life when they accept Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah of Israel.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
What I am getting from this reading of first chapter is that Paul is attempting to give the believers in Galatia his credentials, and why he feels he is qualified to speak to them. Basing this on his belief that he was uniquely chosen/called out/taught by the L-rd Himself.

And Paul was uniquely called by the L_RD. He knew first hand the change that is made in one's life when they accept Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah of Israel.
I am intersted in how you percieve the passage. You very much have a different take on things. I see what you're saying, and your perspective is very unique. Very matter of fact. I like it :) Never looked at it from that angle either.

It is intersting how we all can read the same passage and get so many differing viewpoints. Some pick up on small details and words that elude to something else and others get the whole big picture in one lump. It is pretty nice actually. To study with people you know from church is totally different, in comparison to studying with people you don't really know or have never met. It's refreshing. I can almost tell you everything people at church would say about this passage word for word, because I know them well. I never know what to expect from ya'll.

Welcome to the study Rebbetzin!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is the plan to do a chapter a day? And we just make comment on what "stands out" to us on this particular reading of the book?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been lurking, but I hope to join in after things settle down a bit in the New Year. Been sooo busy (up to my eyeballs in deer meat) and I gotta admit I've been neglecting my Bible reading.

I have been studying along with Dr. J. Vernon McGee (Thru the Bible Radio) for a little over a year now and have picked up so much from his chapter-by-chapter 5-year course. So many times you read and it's hard to understand some things in context. I am especially interested in Rebbetzin's input too for this reason. A lot of passages make so much more sense when you take into consideration the Jewish culture with it. I'm glad the Spirit helps us with the things we need to know that are most important doctrinally too. I love it when something I may have read 10 times before finally jumps out at me and He gives me something I needed just for that day! :cool: