SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, all, I just invited all the BYC over for a slumber party and brainstorming session!! Now....who brought the food and drinks??? :p

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I'll make egg nog that will bring them over :p

I'll use some recycled milk bottles too. and send them snail mail to save gas on over night. Sorry may be a bit stail when they get there though.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
how about chicken power lol that was a joke

i like trash to treasure 'Been there dont that'
You laugh...but in some parts of the world it is commonplace to collect animal manure and ferment it in large collectors that trap the methane gas produced...the gas is then used for cooking, heating, etc. So chicken power is possible. ;)

I think that all of those great ideas--solar, wind, etc., and the other green energy and home ideas could be easily lumped into one sub-forum, like Beekissed has...

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I would love to cover our chicken houses with solar and put our manure into digesters and make it also into energy. only problem is that its really expensive and i have looked for grants.

G

I think a topic about butchering (separate from livestock) would be nice, I've seen lots of posts about how to butcher whatever. We're gonna be butchering soon, and I'd love to provide pics of the process!! (chickens, that is) Also, in the other topics or whatever, something about processing and refining animal parts left over from butchering into stuff, like soap, candles, dog food, etc. Even tanning!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Suggested Topics:

Dairy Diaries: Cheesemaking, yogurt, milking issues, etc.
HomeCookin': Recipes, Canning, Preserving, etc.
Thread Heads: Quilting, knitting, Spinning, etc.
Natural Remedies: Herbal Remedies, Diets, home vetting, etc.
Livestock (Not sure if you would have room for all the different categories!)
Farming and the Government: NAIS updates and info, USDA regulations, Pros and Cons, etc.
Green Building and Energy Solutions: Construction and plans for eco/energy friendly dwellings, off grid energy solutions, etc.
Me and My Homestead/Farm: Everyday life, finances, challenges of living on a homestead, gardening, etc.
Frugal Fun: Ways of saving money, making do, recycling trash to treasure,
etc.
Nifty Notions: Homemade soaps, detergents, baby wipes, etc.
From the Farm to the Freezer: Processing livestock, deer, poultry, etc.
How's this one, CJ??? Keep 'em coming folks!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Or even one called The End Product? That way you can include the tallow soaps, etc. Could even include beekeeping in that one and have categories for candlemaking, salves, lip balms....

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was glad to see alot of the recomendations so far! The Canning/Preserving would be a hit with me as well as an area about Butchering/Processing different kinds of animals. The Reuse/Recycle would be great as well. I always look at the stuff that people put out on the end of their driveways to give away and think "what could I do with that?" So anyway great ideas so far!! I can't wait to get started posting!!

Scootersmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Hey, all, I just invited all the BYC over for a slumber party and brainstorming session!! Now....who brought the food and drinks??? :p
i got the pop corn lol :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :coolsun:bouquet