SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

crazychickenlady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Saw the invite on BYC, so thought I'd come over to visit!

I'd love to see more info on solar, canning/preserving, composting, vermiculture and beekeeping??? Not sure if the bee idea is too far out there, but a good thought anyway....

We are NEW to the idea of self sufficiency, but are trying to take baby steps in that direction. We compost, vermi-compost, grow some of our own veggies and now have CHICKENS! Yahoo! Counting days till the eggs start coming!! All of this in our VERY suburban area. :D

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great list. Maybe something on Alternative Diets for those of us who are wheat, dairy, whatever intolerant or allergic? I can't think of a clever label right now and maybe there is a category already mentioned that could go under....gotta love brainstorming. edited to add: headed to bed, but I hope I didn't miss the pillow fight at the slumber party. ;) good night! Great job with another sister site.

lengel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would like to see some kind of forum that addresses edible/usable plants and tree products. When I was a child, we used to collect nuts from our local trees. Now I have no idea of what's on our property - and none of our neighbors do either.

Frozen Feathers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lengel said:
I would like to see some kind of forum that addresses edible/usable plants and tree products. When I was a child, we used to collect nuts from our local trees. Now I have no idea of what's on our property - and none of our neighbors do either.
Great idea!! My DH knows his wild plants and it's so odd to go for walks with him and he's picking up random stuff having me try it. We don't touch mushrooms, though. Even though he knows them, he doesn't know them that well.

OaklandCityFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good to see you got this forum up Rob!

Also good to see familiar folks from the other forums.

I don't think I have too much to offer right now but maybe later.

G

Good grief Nifty, you work fast! I think a category for raising poultry and livestock organically would be fabulous. That's one area it's hard to find much information elsewhere on the web.

smom1976

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
trying this again.. ha it seems to have worked today :)