SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I have a question about breeding. We rehomed a mix roo last week, so our pretty white EE is again the only roo in the run with the EE girls. How long should I wait until I collect eggs for the incubator, just to be sure they're his and not the other guy's babies? I think I read 3 weeks, but I'm not sure. :hu
It only takes 24 to 26 hours to make an egg. So no matter if your hen lays once a day or once a week. Any eggs after a day should be his.

Cheerio... how's your hen?

Congrats on the sales!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mama Chicken, it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the semen of the older rooster to pass through in the laying cycle.

The Mama Chicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Mama Chicken, it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the semen of the older rooster to pass through in the laying cycle.
Thanks, I knew it was a while, but didn't realize how long. No new babies until the end of May then.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah you'll have a high percentage of the new roos offspring by the 3rd week, but will be completely 100% his by the middle of the 5th week.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
All of my chicks from the 3/23 hatch are in a cage in the coop, and will be integrated this week sometime. Also have 50+ eggs in the bator, and saving up duck eggs to set a week from today... :woot

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Ya' learn something new every day! I live next door to a BREEDER and he neglected (or I forgot) that little IMPORTANT detail!! :idunno

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just bought 8 Turkey Eggs, new adventure is coming! Now must figure out how to balance the hatches out....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just candled my eggs....

:( :( :(

Most if not all in the Hovabator look like they aren't developing at all.......the LG looks entirely different. More like they are supposed too.......my 50$ on chicken eggs look to be wasted. They and the BO eggs all look to not be developing right..... :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
What day did you candle at?
I think I was asleep when I posted that, I recandled a day later and they looked back on track...