SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's the 'bator babies
3142_img_0818.jpg

This is the current broody... that space she is in is only 4" high! Took me days to find her. No Cochin eggs in that nest!
3142_img_0802.jpg

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
I can't wait to get my chickens...any suggestions on the breed i should get? I live in georgia and my 3 year old will be helping me a good bit so i want to find one that is pretty laid back
Golden sex links, they are sweet and loving and will follow you around. Also are the cutest chicks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have read all 19 pages and really enjoyed the pictures and everyone's chicken stories. Since I got a Droid and learned how to use it, I feel so smart and can share pictures of my chickens too! :lol:

this is the coop, side view. Lots of hardware cloth because it gets so hot.
2536_chicken_coop_side_view.jpg

This summer, I planted climbing green beans for shade. If the girls snack on them, that's OK too!
2536_bean_vines_on_coop.jpg

And pics of the girls
2536_eek_its_sawdust.jpg

A great day! 8 eggs out of 8 hens! It was the first time the 2 older hens and the 6 younger hens all laid on the same day.
2536_8_eggs.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Any suggestions on rooster choice, Delaware or Dominique?

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rooster choice is a tough one.... It depends on so many things ....
Are they pend or pastured?
Do you want to raise chicks? If so, do you want heavy layers or another quality?
Do you have kids that will be around him?
How big are you hens? A larger breed roster can injure or even kill a smaller hen.
And probably more things I think of right now.
And with these considerations... when it comes to personality, each is different, good and bad in all breed!

Personally, I just got me some Dominiques!

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this. We brought home three new chickens today (we lost a few to the heat), two black marans and one blue. Our french copper rooster was very VERY happy to see the new additions. He was trying to mount them just as soon as we got them in the pen. He was walking around with his chest all puffed out like we was just the baddest thing in town. My husband and I stood out there for 10 mins watching this show and laughing our butts off.

Having animals (and kids for that matter) is way better than going to the movies!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awwww.... always love chickies!:love

I got my first GREEN eggs this week!!!:weee I was hoping I could breed for some this last spring and it worked!!!! Thank you Prettyboy, George and the Girls!!!:love

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
Awwww.... always love chickies!:love

I got my first GREEN eggs this week!!!:weee I was hoping I could breed for some this last spring and it worked!!!! Thank you Prettyboy, George and the Girls!!!:love
Green eggs!!! :love Got Ham??? :lol:

Latest posts