Suing McDonalds

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We did spank our kids, but I bet that they each probably got only two or three actual spankings (on the butt and with control) in their whole lives. The rest of the time a stern look or a swat was all that was required. No always meant NO. When I told them to do something they did it. When I said I would do something I did it. Actions have natural logical consequences.

Nothing like a little love, consistency and structure in a kids life to make a difference.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
DD got the occasional Happy meal, but it was a rare treat and the toy had to be something special, like legos or popoids or something we thought she would actually play with.

The point is, that parents need to take the responsibiity for their children's upbringing. As has been stated, when NO means "NO" consistently, then the child learns that lesson. Sure they will keep pushing it now and then, but that is the child's job, part of growing up. We didn't have to spank our DD, she got time-out for bad behavior. We rarely had bad behavior though. Good behavior was encouraged and praised, bad behavior caused you to be reprimanded, ignored or punished by said time out, or removal of privileges or toy.

A trip to McDonald's or the ice cream parlor, were rewards for good behavior and not an every day occurance.

Her dad and I were the adults and called the shots, period!!! Not the 5 year-old :ep

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
this whole conversation is reminding me of Bill Engvull's parenting bit.

it goes something like this:

Bill - "We've got these friends out in California, and they're nice people, but they're California parents.

Her motto is "Oh just let the children express themselves."

Alrighty, is that your son on top of a building with a deer rifle just expressing himself?

We go out to dinner, and their son is going "Mama Mamamamama MAMA"

She says, "Billy, if you don't use your indoor voice " - (I'm going through DT's) - "we're going to have a time out."

WHAT A TIME OUT? How about a knock out, ma'am!

Then he talks about being a kid and getting the switch.

ya'll remember that? mom sends you out to cut your own switch?? Now that's mind games now, because you're out there going "Uh, which one....if I pick that one she's going to send me back out here, that one will break my back...." and your parents are in the house just laughing it up!!

But some people still remember how to discipline their kids. Remember that kid they caned over in Singapore??? I bet he doesn't paint any more cars. I bet he won't even join ART class.

And if I'da been his daddy, I'da bought that stick...and hung it over the door frame...and every time he started screwing around I say, "hey hey hey! don't you make me call Mr. Fuigi (sp?)! I will pay his airfare!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just love Bill Engvull!!

:love

(especially the letter to Preparation H) :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My "motherly motto" (not the greatest shot, but you get the idea):

912_because_i_said_so_002.jpg

I'm not a spanking type of mama, but I'm not against an occasional swat, especially if it is someone else's kid...just kidding :lol: ;) Usually "that kid" needed a swat if his/her parents weren't doing their job.

(My older sister sure could have used a swat or two growing up! Me? I was perfect!)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i tell my kids im gonna rip their skin off so i guess im awful

it takes me about 10 warnings before i do something but the skin ripping off is a great scare tactic or the pinch and twist really gets them in line

they will be getting a $1 burger each and a fry to share between the 3 of them and one drink to share cause they dont need all that soda

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've always figured that not having a whole lot of money is an advantage to a kid.... it's simply a fact that we can't afford a lot of junk, and they know that before even asking.

DD has grown up having to make wise choices and figure out what 's important to have. If she wanted something that I thought was frivolous, I'd shrug my shoulders and tell her she could have it if she could come up with the money to buy it. An awful lot of stuff doesn't look so necessary if it's your own hard-earned or saved money paying for it!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
my kids even had a dollar limit at Christmas!!! :ep

We never told the Santa was real, instead we told them the stories and how some people really think it is fun to pretend about him. That way they never shattered any other kids dreams.

But they knew what the price limit was before they made their wish list. It was interesting watching them hunting down sales and bringing me coupons! We did those important things, like make cookies, sing together, and go Christmas light viewing instead of being so material. They have all said how glad they were that those were our traditions and how much better Christmas always was for them than for their friends who usually got lots of stuff.

Yes I agree being poor is often a great benefit for children.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I'm not a spanking type of mama,
Me niether. I don't want to encourage the little brats into hitting each other when they think the other has done them wrong.

We talk about what they've done, and why its wrong - granted it doesn't always work, and sometimes I'm yelling :rolleyes:

My parents always said "because I said so!" to me, and it really ticked me off, I wanted to know WHY damnit!

I always tell my kids why I'm saying no, it helps them to understand the why, and it prevents the repeat arguments and questions. I've never had to say NO for no reason, so I always have an answer or explaination.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i was lucky. my father understood the extremes of my logic. lol. he always gave why. and if that why was "i'm exhausted and if you piss me off i'm gonna beat the tar outta you"... well that's pretty clear! but normally there was a simple logic. "we're in public and you are ruining other people's enjoyment and you will therefore be removed". since we rarely went out, sitting in the car while the family ate in a restaurant and knowing you got bread and water at home was a GOOD threat. LOL.

growing up poor is healthier than growing up with too much. you learn what's important and how to plot.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My kids didn't get McD's because it is crappy food! And *I* don't like it- there was nothing there for me to eat.

I hope I taught my kids how to make smart choices. I think I did. And I was the master of the extendable arm in the car! It just makes it harder that I was a divorced single parent of a 3 and 6 year old whose father had a totally different (rich) lifestyle than we did. I guess I'm lucky my kids have any values at all...