Sustainable Firstfruit's "Black Bean Chocolate Cake"

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL. I'm canning more black beans this weekend to increase our stash - since I'm certain to need more this season in order to make this cake once/month or so. :gig

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't pay much attention to this thread. Possibly the bean part. But now I will have to try this cake. How do you get raw whey?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Strain some yogurt or some kefir and the liquid part is whey. Easy-peasy!

If you are in a hurry and don't have whey, you can use a bit of ACV instead, or a big spoonful of yogurt or kefir.

You won't regret it! :drool

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Off to buy more bulk black beans .....I didn't have any on hand but I did have an old can hanging out in the back of the pantry which I used for my cake. :sick

Something (maybe everything!) about canned beans is NASTY!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Results of our taste test:

First cake, made with half the honey and three half-droppersful of stevia.....delicious!

Second cake, made with1/4 cup honey and six half-droppersful of stevia......good, but better with fruit on top.

Third cake, made with no honey and 12 half-droppersful of stevia.....almost the same as the second cake, slightly bitter. Wonderful with thawed berry medley, lightly sweetened with stevia or honey....then the honey was not missed in the cake at all. I bet it would be fine with fresh cream and fresh strawberries from the garden with no sweetener at all. I'll let you know in June!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
ANY chocolate cake made without sweetener, would be sacrilege........

I am going to give this recipe a whack this weekend.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree, but this is for people who are sensitive to sugar...diabetics and people with insulin resistance and the like.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm still following a diet where starches like beans and sugars are out for another couple weeks. So I made this dessert, hoping for a treat.

Mug Cake
2 Tlbs. Almond flour
1 1/2 T xylitol (I only had Stevia and used one little envelope)
1 Tlbs. 100% cocoa powder, heaping
1 egg
3 Tlbs. half and half or cream
1 Tlbs. butter or coconut oil (I used real butter)
Splash of Vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Mix all dry ingredients in mug, add egg and blend thoroughly. Add milk, oil and vanilla and mix. Place in 1000 watt microwave for 90 sec. Do not cover mug. Cake will rise. Let cool and place on plate. Add a little whipped cream to top

This did not turn out very well. It was gray and tasteless. My friend said it should be dark and rich like a brownie. Was the Stevia the problem? How can I make this better?

ETA: My friend likes this so well that she has it almost every day. :idunno

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ok, so my cake is in the oven, and I can't wait to try it.

After the first blend, the batter was really thick, and sort of 'heavy-fluffy' ...... I wonder if it wold be possible to modify the recipe to make black bean chocolate mousse? Has anyone tried it?