Sustainable Firstfruit's "Black Bean Chocolate Cake"

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm just getting around to reading this. Very interesting. I think I'll have to try it this weekend. I have been wanting a chocolate cake for awhile.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have the beans lactofermented and cooked. Can't wait to try the cake! I would call this healthfood and eat it for breakfast with strongly brewed black tea. Mmmmm...

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't made it yet, but I love that it uses so many eggs. We have an abundance right now.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, Ok I'll make the bean cake. You all finally convinced me. But what do they mean by "warmed butter". room temp? I guess I will make the yogurt first.

Free, I think you said if you had no whey you could just through in some yogurt. Is that correct?

g

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok, Ok I'll make the bean cake. You all finally convinced me. But what do they mean by "warmed butter". room temp? I guess I will make the yogurt first.

Free, I think you said if you had no whey you could just through in some yogurt. Is that correct?

g
I used butter softened at room temp.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a everything in the blender except the butter. Mine was really thick. My blender was not to happy. We will see how it is with the addition of the honey and eggs.
gina

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I finally made this Black Bean Chocolate Cake last night. I got tired of forgetting to soak dried beans, so I used canned. :hide I did use Free's method of reducing honey and adding liquid Stevia (mine was Vanilla flavored).

I started the process around 9 pm, so I didn't get to taste it until this morning and then it was plain without whipped cream or other topping.

WOW! I am impressed. This is very good. :celebrate

My mother thought it could be a bit sweeter, but I really liked it. You don't miss the flour. I'll make it again, I'm sure.

:thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My kids decided it was too "rich" for them.... So now if I make it I will be the only one eating it. A
million times better for you than brownies, but I
could eat the whole batch in just a couple days :drool

I love it with a dallop of
freshly whipped cream!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This was the best recipe to make it to my files in a long time!

Becca, now that you know how good it is, you'll be soaking beans! I made up a bunch and put them in the freezer in "one cake" portions. I'll also be canning some more to save freezer room for pig and chicken by fall.

Dace...a good carb serving!!!!