Technology is ruining the human race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere, awhile ago, about the time when television became commonplace in households, how the interactions between family members were effected, negatively.
two things seemed to spell the end of "neighborliness" and that was television, which took us to "new" neighborhoods, and air conditioning, which meant you weren't out on the front porch or under a tree, visiting with passers-by

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The pub is the summer hub here. Its not air conditioned, but is a huge brick building that stays cool and serves cold drinks. Too much skin cancer in this country to be outside in the heat! Smoking was banned indoors, so conversations are interupted by smokers having to duck out for a fag every few minutes. The anti-alcohol push is also successful, much less people being public about social drinking out of shame. Cafes are more expensive and dont have the same atmosphere of chatting at the bar over a beer. If you lose a pub in a remote location, you lose the town.

There are regulations on pensions here which make it hard to volunteer. The change in liability insurance in early 2000's meant people need to pay fees to join clubs and sports. Huge hit to horseriding specifically (polo, campdrafting, all the country gymkhanas). Cost is a big detterent to community contribution, but nowdays unavoidable . Poverty is widespread but well hidden. Religious groups are shrinking as there are few truly open to those without money to contribute (I have found from personal experience. The priest stopped coming cos the collection plate didnt cover his petrol costs. I've converted)

None of this is technology related. Most is wealth and "health" related.

We still have petrol stations that will fill your car if you require it, a few that wont let you do it yourself at all (but I avoid them tbh). Its the increase in population which makes these personal services hard to continue. Immigration will be used to keep the economy afloat and with new populations, old ideas are forgotten. I've seen it here with the general store. The old owners used to know everyone in town and tell them if a package had come in, or ordered in specific items for townspeople, it was a gossip hub. Now the new owners dont know people by name, didnt know they were expected to (coming from huge cities in india) and are losing business just because they are not local and do not know the customs, have packages piling up because the locals dont know they have to ask for them, they dont know what some food is called with lack of English. They do make great kebabs though and a general store is a must have, no one else would run it and the chance was there to do so for years.

There are far more issues than technology changing the world. Most of it wealth and greed driven. I am somewhat surprised that Christians are shocked by the direction of the world. We are warned. We know who is driving this system to its end. We dont have to be afraid by it. We can chose to live the best we can in the worst of times.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20210408_141600_373~2.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are far more issues than technology changing the world. Most of it wealth and greed driven. I am somewhat surprised that Christians are shocked by the direction of the world. We are warned. We know who is driving this system to its end. We dont have to be afraid by it. We can chose to live the best we can in the worst of times.
THIS!!!! In a nutshell.

I too am amazed when those who profess Christ are anxious and shocked by this present age. We are here, front row seats, to one of the most exciting, devastating, prophetic times in history and soon our King will reclaim His kingdom, for Whom the entire Earth and all the creatures on it have been groaning since the fall of mankind. Evil will increase to a fever pitch, so put on the whole armor of God, for we do not fight a battle of flesh and blood, but of the spirit. It's hard to watch all of this happening, so we are to keep our eyes on Christ and not on this world.

Technology itself it not bad, but what the evil mind and heart of man does with it that is the issue. Sin is the issue. Increased technology just provides more outlets for all the deadly sins~pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So very well stated, Bee. Sometimes, I feel like I am a lonely voice, crying in the wilderness. And, all around me are deaf ears. I am so very thankful for the friendship you've provided over the years! Just this morning, when I shared one of your other posts with DH, he was quiet for a moment, then asked.... "where does she live?" Oh how sweet it would be to take a road trip. I think I'd prefer a road trip over flying, these days, because I would not be forced to interact with as much stupid.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So very well stated, Bee. Sometimes, I feel like I am a lonely voice, crying in the wilderness. And, all around me are deaf ears. I am so very thankful for the friendship you've provided over the years! Just this morning, when I shared one of your other posts with DH, he was quiet for a moment, then asked.... "where does she live?" Oh how sweet it would be to take a road trip. I think I'd prefer a road trip over flying, these days, because I would not be forced to interact with as much stupid.
:hugs I would so love that!!!! We'd even give you Mom's room if you came and I'd give her mine and I'd camp out on the girl's futon couch. Mom has an on suite bathroom, though the shower is miniscule. We'd make a fire out back and sit out, watch the stars, praise the Lord and gab until our eyes got grainy! :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it again... My Faith is in Almighty God. So for >>> me <<< There is no better time to be alive, than today, right here, right now! You guys are making me so happy and causing a spring in my steps again : 😂 if my Lord is willing, I'm ready to float.

I can truthfully say, over the past week or so, dispite all the bad news and it literally seems the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. I can't ever recall having been more happier for this long in my life. And no I'm not on drugs 😂

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed with you, Creal I can look around me and get despondent. I can get angry. I can get anxious. And, I'll not deny it. I've had all of those feelings a plenty. But, when I take my eyes off the horizontal plane, and put them on the vertical plane, my heart swells. My Jesus is totally, all encompassingly sufficient for this time in which I have been placed. I praise God for placing me where He has placed me, and the time in which He has placed me. I live on a little dead end road. This road is the place to go for a walk for EVERYBODY living within 1/2 mile from either direction on the state route that my road connects to. My animals, my garden, my yard projects have become an incredible magnet to open the door to spiritual discussion with so many! Not just the walkers, but those who stop to buy eggs. Sometimes they share burdens, sometimes they share praises. God is good. He Is ALWAYS GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.