Thanksgiving~ What's on your menu?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Denim Deb said:
The bacon sounds good..... :plbb
LOL< Deb is making Bacon Salad for T'day!
Nope, going to my SIL, and she never wants anyone to bring anything. Normally what people want me to bring if I bring anything is my party potatoes.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I cook the turkey the night before and then put it in the slow cooker in mushroom gravy. This way I am not fussing and cooking on the big day, just enjoying with my man.

I make low carb stuffing out of cubed squash, diced veggies and almond meal. That gets baked in a casserole dish. I make that the day before too so it is ready to pop in the oven.

I also make a low carb cauliflower and cheese dish, make a salad, put out a cheese and veggie platter, make deviled duck eggs, and then dessert is a low carb pumpkin cheese cake.

No relatives live anywhere near us :woot so it is me and hubby and Max. Oldest son is in Iraq. So we get a quiet day at home in our jammies with football on tv and the Wii set up for half time or in case of ridiculous blow out. Lots of snuggling, maybe a few mixed drinks. Good food.

I love Thanksgiving :love
Would you mind sharing how you make your mushroom gravy and stuffing?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The mushroom gravy depends on how much time I have. It can be spiced up campbell's cream of chicken mushroom soup (lowest carb content of all cream of something soups) or this...
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_mushroom_soup.html with chicken

Now the stuffing is a little more problematic. I never measured and have made it many ways. Basically it is cooked sage pork sausage, fresh mushrooms, shallots, cauliflower and cubed squash of some sort. Acorn is my favorite. Also almond meal, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and butter. Lots of butter :D

Bake the squash until you can cut it in cubes but it isn't mushy. Steam fresh cauliflower or cook a bag of frozen stuff. Drain well. When squash and cauli are done, combine and add seasoning. While those are cooking up, caramelize the shallots in a lot of butter. Add chopped mushrooms. Add more butter if you need to. Pour over the cooked veggies and toss. Add almond meal to get a stuffing-like consistency. Bake.

DO NOT stuff the bird with this. It gets too goopy. Sometimes I add celery and shredded carrots too. I am not sure if I added egg to it though. I guess if it seems a bit dry you could crack an egg in that mix :D