The Bread Thread!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I used to bake bread all the time… Sold most of it, but not a lot, just a loaf or two a day. I made a basic white loaf dough, which I then rolled out to about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Lightly paint with olive oil and then sprinkle a generous mixture of fresh herbs all over that dough before rolling it up into a savoury swiss roll kinda arrangement. Baked and cut, the herbs form a spiral through it. Soaked with butter, warm from the oven… YUM!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you stay in a hotel, there is often at least one of those shower caps available. I've bought some from the drug store before.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed love the idea about the disposable shower caps. Where would you find them?

You can get them quite cheaply on Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Shower-Caps-100-Packed/dp/B003ADP9NW/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1499186629&sr=8-8&keywords=disposable+shower+caps&th=1

I use them for so many things that I like to buy them by the 100 ct. Canning season is one big use for them as I put large stainless steel basins in the fridge filled with this or that in mid processing~like chickens~, the shower caps are the only things that will cover them.

Oh...and I also use them when giving Mom a perm. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Making bread tonight and the house is going to smell lovely! Will also make some banana nut bread from all the bananas we save in the freezer for just such an occasion as this...they turn brown, they go in the freezer until we get enough for a double batch of banana nut bread. Got family coming out tomorrow, so will put on a feed.

This banana nut bread recipe comes out perfect EVERY single time, which has earned my ever loving respect for it over the past several years. There have been times in the past where I've had BNB come out too gooey or too dry, but if one follows this recipe exactly, it comes out perfect every single time. I LOVE that.

It's off a website called Simply Recipes:

Banana Bread

3-4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. sugar(can reduce to 3/4 c. if wanted)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. of all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350*. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix it in. Add the flour last, mix. Poor mixture into a buttered 4x8 loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack, remove from pan, and slice to serve.

*** I add pecan nut bits to this recipe, about a cup for a double batch of BB, as we like nuts in our banana bread, and it doesn't seem to change the perfection of the loaf when it comes out. Golden brown, shiny on top like it's supposed to be, with that little split down the middle. Perfectly moist throughout with just a little crust around the edges....Bliss! ****

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bread perfection achieved!!!

100_5985.JPG

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been making a double batch of zucchini bread each week for the last several weeks. Hubby has been taking it for breakfast. Just the recipe out of my old BH&G cookbook. Same one grandma and mom used

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh @Beekissed you're making my mouth water over here! I love baking banana bread when I have a few extra bananas and time to bake. Wish I knew I could freeze them, I tossed so many bananas that went pass the useable stage before I had time to do something with them. Do you freeze them with the peels on?