The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've taken to proofing the bread more this past year or so...seems like it lasts longer and tastes better the more it's proofed. I'll usually proof it 4-5 times before baking it nowadays. Just makes a better bread.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wanted to share this the other day, but I couldn't find the bread thread lol!

Not worthy of it's own post because it's nothing special (and pretty wonky :hide), but I love the smell/taste of fresh bread from the oven.
IMG_20170623_132349982.jpg

I used to make sour dough, but I haven't had a starter for years now. The bread machine does a decent job, but it's the convenience that allows me to still make bread.
Just started to finish the bread in the oven if the timing works out. so much nicer of course.

Next year I think I'll put sourdough starter on my goal list.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to make bread. I have the grain mill and the wheat. Just need the gumption to get it going again.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Unless it's onion bagels, I can't really stomach much store bought bread...it just has no taste at all, let alone any texture. So, if I didn't make bread I'd not eat bread at all. Usually make it more through the winter months as we don't like to heat up the house with breadmaking in the summer, but when we get some cool nights it's perfect for baking.

We rarely make it into loaves, as they tend to dry out quicker and don't freeze as well. Usually we make it into a type of flattened roll, more like the shape and size of a hamburger bun. That way it can be sliced for toasting, can be used for sandwiches if needed and the crust covers most of the roll~all of it if I space them properly~which seals in the moisture well. They freeze great that way too...fits into the freezer bags great and we can get out just a few at a time as we need them.

They ain't pretty but they taste great and are very functional, which is even better!
100_3623.jpg

100_3624.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting sourdough is way easy... if you start with fresh-ground wheat, the wheat berries already have all the yeast they need, rather like grapes for wine. Even if you don't have fresh-ground wheat, the yeastie-beasties are all around in the air as well. Usually molds don't get a hold on the starter unless it's very humid, or you've been neglecting the starter and the yeasts are not as vigorous. We always found that if we baked something at least once a week and fed the starter every other day on the non-baking days we always had a vigorous, bubbly starter. And if you decide you want to start fermenting your animal feeds- a glop of the starter is a wonderful way to get it going.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree, Bay! That's one of the pleasures I have when I have fresh baked bread...I'll heat up a few pieces of kielbasa and eat with one, just the meat and the bread and nothing else. It's just scrumptious! It's just better when the bread is fresh from the oven for some reason, though they still taste good together later on, it's nothing like that warm, soft bread and smoky meat meal when the bread was first baked.