The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Bee! We are on a low carb, low calorie diet and I miss BREAD! The diet is working, I have lost 14 pounds, veered off, gained a few back and am now back to 138. I don't like this diet, but I don't want to be overweight either. My target is 130.

I miss garlic French bread, peanut butter and my home made jelly sandwiches, pizza crust that is not cauliflower, cinnamon toast, and just fragrant, delicious bread.

How cool is that? My goal is 130 also! Can't wait to get there!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goal is 150... 80 pounds away. I've lost about 75 already so I'm halfway there. When I get to my goal, I plan to VERY CAREFULLY add some carbs back into my diet. Probably go with the standard diabetic diet which would allow for some bread and potatoes. If you are missing pizzas and such, try the Fat Head dough... it's quite successful at making a decent pizza crust... as well as things like bagel dogs, cinnamon rolls, soft pretzels...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Excellent wt. loss, Britesea!!! Not many folks can lose that much without surgery or other intervention. :clap

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you @Beekissed I was lucky that my DH loyally decided to go on the diet with me, so there's no forbidden foods in the house to tempt me (and he has lost 30 pounds also!) Frankly though, seeing the pounds come off was all I needed to continue to resist temptation. I found that coming up with what I like to call "acceptable analogs" for my favorite foods really helped. Things like switching from chips and popcorn to pork rinds and peanuts for snacking, and I love my avocado french fries!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How cool is that? My goal is 130 also! Can't wait to get there!
I'm almost with you two. My goal is 132, as apparently that is my "ideal" weight for my height. But I'm working towards it from the other side... I'm on 128 now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My goal is 150... 80 pounds away. I've lost about 75 already so I'm halfway there. When I get to my goal, I plan to VERY CAREFULLY add some carbs back into my diet. Probably go with the standard diabetic diet which would allow for some bread and potatoes. If you are missing pizzas and such, try the Fat Head dough... it's quite successful at making a decent pizza crust... as well as things like bagel dogs, cinnamon rolls, soft pretzels...
You've done amazing, well done!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you @Beekissed I was lucky that my DH loyally decided to go on the diet with me, so there's no forbidden foods in the house to tempt me (and he has lost 30 pounds also!) Frankly though, seeing the pounds come off was all I needed to continue to resist temptation. I found that coming up with what I like to call "acceptable analogs" for my favorite foods really helped. Things like switching from chips and popcorn to pork rinds and peanuts for snacking, and I love my avocado french fries!

I'll be eating more avocados soon, so maybe you could tell us how you make those fries?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi for most of my life, I struggled to keep the weight I had. I could catch a cold, lose 5 pounds and take months to gain it back. Menopause changed my metabolism and I S L O W L Y started gaining weight. At 130, I was pleased, at 135, still pleased, but it kept coming and I finally decided to get my weight back down.

What really sucks is, what if I have to stay low carb, low calorie the rest of my life? I don't like this diet, no matter how well it works.

@Britesea congrats of the weight loss, I know you have worked hard at it. One of the hardest things is that there are no shortcuts. For those nights that you don't want to cook, there are no quick foods, you can only eat so many scrambled eggs. LOL I have made the fathead pizza, it is very good. I used the dough recipe to make flat tortillas and made big nachos. Good, but just not a corn tortilla. I'm making pizza tonight, chicken, spinach, mushroom and alfredo sauce.

Bee, keep up the diet, it works. It's hard to give up all the foods we love, but I just can't keep on keeping on. I'm overloaded on eggs right now. Normally I would make a pound cake, it uses 12 eggs. But not now!

I have used grated mozzarella, making spread out piles on parchment paper, for "tortillas" and made enchiladas, they turned out pretty good. But I never got into keto and gained weight on the full keto diet. So had to wratchet back on the calories in addition to the carbs and that is working.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, keep up the diet, it works. It's hard to give up all the foods we love, but I just can't keep on keeping on. I'm overloaded on eggs right now. Normally I would make a pound cake, it uses 12 eggs. But not now!

Bay, I'm not on any of the diets folks are using right now like keto, paleo, etc., and I'm not having to give up any of the foods I love at all, so it's pretty sustainable for me. This is the first time I've dieted in my life and it's been extremely exciting, a wonderful learning process and God has brought me around full circle to the life style I'll be on from now on, which was just our old way of eating but even more enriched.

I won't have any trouble at all staying on it or keeping the wt. off as I'm not having to depend on my own power to do that, the Lord will be managing my eating from now on. And as it should be and should have been all along.

I'll weigh myself tomorrow and let y'all know what my current wt. loss has been in the past 10 mo. It's been rather remarkable!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi for most of my life, I struggled to keep the weight I had. I could catch a cold, lose 5 pounds and take months to gain it back. Menopause changed my metabolism and I S L O W L Y started gaining weight. At 130, I was pleased, at 135, still pleased, but it kept coming and I finally decided to get my weight back down.

What really sucks is, what if I have to stay low carb, low calorie the rest of my life? I don't like this diet, no matter how well it works.
I've been thin most of my life, but after I had DS my weight was very low (I lost a few pounds during pregnancy, from being sick ALL THE TIME) and I never really got it back. 3 Years ago, after a hellish stressful time emigrating, the cancer and all the drama with my ex, I got weighed at the hospital and found my weight dropped to 106 lbs. I was in the "get medical attention NOW" range. With a lot of help and support from a wonderful friend who decided at the time to lose weight and build muscle (he did both at the same time and looks amazing now), I managed to learn to eat more and better and slowly regain weight. From his teachings I'm learning what and how to eat and what works, how to have some "bad" stuff now and then and still be o.k. It's doable. A piece of cake is not the end of the world, just cut back a bit the rest of the day to balance things out.