The Bread Thread!

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I make bread pretty often, and have never had a breadmaker. Check out some of the "no knead" recipes. Easy as.....bread! :p
Thanks, I will head out to cyberspace to find some recipes.

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I've been making all of our bread here at home for awhile and one issue I'm having is keeping it fresh. I just ordered a breadbox type Tupperware dish that looks pretty good, but what tips do y'all have for keeping your bread loaves from going stale quickly?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
So I've been making all of our bread here at home for awhile and one issue I'm having is keeping it fresh. I just ordered a breadbox type Tupperware dish that looks pretty good, but what tips do y'all have for keeping your bread loaves from going stale quickly?
We eat through them far too quickly for that to be a problem! If everyone is home when the loaves come out of the oven, half a loaf gets eaten as soon as it is cool enough to slice and slather with butter.

Hubs bakes 2 or 4 loaves, lets them cool on a rack, bags them up in produce bags we get from the grocery store, pops all but one into the freezer, and by the middle of the next day we are taking another loaf out of the freezer to thaw in time to eat the next day. We usually go through 3-4 loaves per week (family of 4) between breakfast toast and lunch sandwiches.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I slice mine when cool, then wrap in plastic wrap, then in tinfoil and freeze it. It's just like fresh when we take it out. All but one loaf will go in, and that one will remain unsliced and we slice as we use it...it only lasts a day or two anyway cuz we go through it so fast

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
I wrap my loafs in heavy duty aluminum foil and seems to stay fresher and you can re-use the foil again.

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I make my own bread, I do it because it tastes amazing, I make it in large quantities and freeze what i don't need right away. I will make it because it is cheaper for us and i will add things like cheddar and jalepeno peppers that we grow oursleves because its a treat.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, so I admit that I haven't looked through the entire thread, but, I'm looking for a very basic, very easy recipe to start with. I have all purpose flour, yeast, fifty bajillion different kinds of oils, sea salt, sugar, etc. I've seen the recipes with salt, water, oil and bread flour, but I only have all purpose. I'm being way too lazy to go pick up my stocks of rye, WW and gluten! So, can I make a yummy bread with what I have on hand here?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Certainly! All-purpose flour has been the staple flour of bread making ladies for many a long year. Bread flour is overpriced hooey. ;) APF, sugar, salt, oil, water and yeast are all you need for whipping up a quick loaf of bread.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"French bread" is in the oven. We'll see if it actually turns into bread or if it becomes an entity of its own and crawls out of the oven to eat us. I've made bread once before, and didn't really follow a recipe... I tried to add buckwheat, rye and whole wheat, then added some gluten. It was something like bread, but very dense. This time, I followed the recipe to a T, including actually using measuring devices, except that instead of rolling it then "jelly-rolling" it to make perfect looking sticks or whatever you want to call them, I just molded them somewhat like a french bread looking shape. They of course didn't keep much of the shape. I don't have a rolling pin or bread pans here, but I'm not too worried about shape, so long as it's managable for my spicy bread... I don't have all of the ingredients for it, and honestly don't remember what all I put on it. I'll have to check the spice cabinet when I hit my parents' house to figure out what all I put on it. I know I put Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper, plus some garlic butter, but I forget what else. I think celery seed?