The Bread Thread!

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can make focaccia with that AP flour. Here's a link to a basic recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-focaccia-bread/detail.aspx. You can top it with anything or eat it plain. I like to put sea salt, rosemary and chopped garlic on mine. It can be split for sandwiches or topped like a thick crust pizza. It is very versatile and delicious! I don't poke holes in it with a spoon, per the recipe, I just use my fingertips. If you have a pizza stone it makes a nice crust, but a cookie sheet works fine.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Looks like a good recipe, thanks Theo! :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
When I have made bread before, I have made it with all purpose. Maybe I should use bread flour, we got a big bag at sams club our last visit.........
I usually use all-purpose flour. In the US, it's pretty high in protein, so it make good-enough bread flour.

If you don't have enough gluten in the flour, the bread will not rise well, it will not have a nice elastic feel when handling it, and it will bake into a dense loaf. Same problem can happen with flour that hasn't been "bleached" or aged. Has to do with end-to-end stickiness of the individual glutelin molecules. Several of the people on the forum are grinding their own flour... I wonder what their experience is.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm! This sounds AMAZING! Fairly simple bread as well.
Is it good for sandwiches? That's my husbands biggest complaint is that my bread isn't good sandwich bread. I think it's mostly because I'm using AP flour and not bread flour tho. He likes to just eat the bread, but not for sandwiches.
My husband is the same way. I think your right, they are just use to the store bought stuff. I have yet to find a recipe that duplicates "bread" in a bag :) Although I am use to it now and I actually prefer it. Since the recipe makes two loaves sometimes we will eat one fresh. Then I let the other sit for a day or two. I just wrap it in a linen towel. Then it is easier to cut into thin slices. Which I then put toppings on and stick in the oven. Or I use it to make "adult" grill cheese sandwiches (no not X rated. I just don't use "singles". I use real cheese and sometimes a slice of meat or ham.) I will try what PP have said and I will try adding more oil to my recipes. I'm curious to see what that will do.

I am interested in learning more whole grain recipes. I have a bobs red mill cookbook. So, far I have only tried the piecrust recipe out of it. It was very good though. I would also love to start some sourdough. I have a couple of "starter" recipes. But, they all seem very different from one another. I'm not sure which way to go with it.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
Mmmmmmm! This sounds AMAZING! Fairly simple bread as well.
Is it good for sandwiches? That's my husbands biggest complaint is that my bread isn't good sandwich bread. I think it's mostly because I'm using AP flour and not bread flour tho. He likes to just eat the bread, but not for sandwiches.
My husband is the same way. I think your right, they are just use to the store bought stuff. I have yet to find a recipe that duplicates "bread" in a bag :) Although I am use to it now and I actually prefer it. Since the recipe makes two loaves sometimes we will eat one fresh. Then I let the other sit for a day or two. I just wrap it in a linen towel. Then it is easier to cut into thin slices. Which I then put toppings on and stick in the oven. Or I use it to make "adult" grill cheese sandwiches (no not X rated. I just don't use "singles". I use real cheese and sometimes a slice of meat or ham.) I will try what PP have said and I will try adding more oil to my recipes. I'm curious to see what that will do.

I am interested in learning more whole grain recipes. I have a bobs red mill cookbook. So, far I have only tried the piecrust recipe out of it. It was very good though. I would also love to start some sourdough. I have a couple of "starter" recipes. But, they all seem very different from one another. I'm not sure which way to go with it.
Homemaker- I have an excellent recipe for bread...whole grain. I just have to locate the book it is in. I used to make it all the time. I will post it later today.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I told hubs I was going to start making bread again and that I wanted to get a couple bags of bread flour when we went to the store. He looked at me like I had sprouted a 3rd eye in the center of my forehead. I then said "It's less expensive to buy a bag of bread flour for $3 (which I don't know if that's really what it costs... LOL) and get 3 loaves of delicious bread from it than $2 per loaf of the premade, full of crap stuff that's in a bag." He looked at me again and said "Well, I guess you're right." :gig

Can you have too much gluten in bread? I do have a recipe that is supposed to be made in a bread machine that I usually just make the dough in the bread machine and then transfer it to a loaf pan. You "master breadmakers" tell me what you think

2 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup +2 Tablespoons water

Mix together in machine on dough cycle

This is where I deviate sometimes. Sometimes I knead it on the counter, then tuck it under and put it in a loaf pan and let it rise for another 30-45 minutes and sometimes I just put it right in the loaf pan and let it rise for a few minutes.

Then bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well... I guess we will go back with the bread flour, even thou it's a little bit more expensive. But not as expensive as a loaf of bread! :p I have a couple of sacks of AP flour as well.
Right. Bread is cheap!

Especially if you take it easy on the yeast (most expensive ingredient), like 1t per 4 loaves.

AP flour, in SE MN is about 0.5 $/lb. Salt is 0.5 $/lb. The cost of heating up the oven and hot water are also low.

Even if you splurge for better flour, home-made bread is still usually cheaper than the weird-smelling stuff that comes in a bag.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The yeast that you can buy in bulk is so good and so inexpensive compared to the package of three that a person used to have to buy.