The Cast Iron Skillet supper thread - one pan wonders for busy folks.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Next recipe.

Beef and Spinach Pie

2 lbs hamburger, stew beef or combination of beef kidney and stew beef - small chunks
2 potatoes - sliced
1 onion - slivered
minced garlic - lots
salt
black pepper - lots (I prefer coarse ground)
1 t rosemary
1 t oregano
cornstarch
spinach, chard, radish greens or beet greens - chopped
sharp cheddar cheese - chunked (put in plenty)

1 recipe of double crust homemade pie shell

Brown the meat well in the skillet and then add the onions and garlic. Cover with water and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
(This gives you time to make your pie crust and get it chilling and slice the taters. ;) )

Add seasonings (lots of pepper) and let simmer a bit then add a few table spoons of cornstarch and stir to turn the broth into a gravy. Dump this all into a big mixing bowl and stir in the greens while hot to allow them to wilt down. Then stir in the potatoes and the cheese chunks. Meanwhile rinse out your cast iron pan (You really don't HAVE to rinse it - I just thought that sounded more normal. :lol: ) and put one of the pie crusts in the bottom. Leave it hang over a bit so you have an edge to seal.

Dump the filling back into the pan and smooth it out so that it fills up the shell. Top with the top crust and trim and seal the edges and slit the top to allow for bubbles. (If the pie is real full I usually put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch a spill.)

Bake at about 375 until the crust is nicely browned. ( :hu 40- 50 minutes) Man oh man is this GOOD. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Personally I switch hit. I have a few well seasoned skillets :love and a dutch oven :love that are in constant use. I also have a waffle iron, a wok (which is super cool), a flat skillet, a griddle and a spider. They all see lots of use! :D
Where did you get the cast iron waffel iron and wok? How often do you use your wok?

S

sunsaver

That sounds so good, FF. I'm drooling! You have excellent taste. I love chard. I grow it year round. I like it just steamed and buttered, but it can go in almost any recipe to good benefit.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
That sounds so good, FF. I'm drooling! You have excellent taste.
Yes I do! You can tell that by simply looking at me. ;) :lol: I LOVE my greens and my squash. I tend to use those ingredients a lot.

big brown horse said:
Where did you get the cast iron waffel iron and wok? How often do you use your wok?
I got my waffle iron from Lehman's. That is where I also got my wok, but I think the one they sell now is about twice as expensive as what I paid. Lodge sells a wok as well and Cajun Cast Iron also sells a wide range of cast iron products.

As for using my wok ... I probably use it once a month or so. :cool:

S

sunsaver

You'll never buy the nasty stuff in a jar again, after you try this tasty Italian dish.

Easy Pasta Alfredo:

Saute' some chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil in your cast iron skillet. Add about an inch, inch and half of water, and bring to a rapid boil. Add some pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked and most of the water is gone. Add a half a stick of butter. Make a rue of two tbsp flour and 2 oz of water, and add it to the skillet. Simmer, stirring often until the sauce thickens. Add some fresh chopped curly parsley, and turn off the heat. Add 8 oz of shredded Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped basil leaves. Enjoy!

S

sunsaver

Who needs box mac and cheese? That Fake stuff is gross, and saves no time at all.

Real Mac and cheese made easy:

Bring a cast iron skillet or thick bottom sauce pan full of salty water to a rapid boil. Add large macaroni noodles. Boil for 8 min. Turn off heat and drain most of water (leave just a bit of the pasta water). Add 1/2 stick of butter. Add 8 oz of your favorite cheese, American, cheddar, sharp Vermont, etc. Add a dash of paprika powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until cheese melts. Enjoy!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Who needs box mac and cheese? That Fake stuff is gross, and saves no time at all.

Real Mac and cheese made easy:

Bring a cast iron skillet or thick bottom sauce pan full of salty water to a rapid boil. Add large macaroni noodles. Boil for 8 min. Turn off heat and drain most of water (leave just a bit of the pasta water). Add 1/2 stick of butter. Add 8 oz of your favorite cheese, American, cheddar, sharp Vermont, etc. Add a dash of paprika powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until cheese melts. Enjoy!
:lol:

I used to buy the box mac and cheese, then I found out that I am Celiac. I started making mac and cheese - just like this recipe - for me with gluten free noodles. Meanwhile I continued to make the box kind for the rest of the family until one day when my hubby asked why I always got to eat the good stuff. Now we ditched the box for good!

Latest posts