The Journey of Finding the Perfect Dairy Calf

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BB, I can't remember if you were going to get a heifer and have her bred, or buy an existing milker. :hu

If you're going to buy a milker, be sure to "try her out" before you buy. A heifer will be more of a wild card with temperament, but I know you will be fine if you go slow and be patient. Just remember to warm your hands up first on those cold frosty Kentucky mornings... :p

Some days I miss being around dairy cows, but not on those cold winter mornings. :lol:

Gladys, huh?
I will hopefully be getting a pregnant cow that is about 3 or 4. Hopefully she will also be in the last month of her pregnancy.

Oh, FJ, Its good to see you on here!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A cow does 'somehow' make a homestead complete :D

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I get my land (somday) I hope to get a couple of miniature Jerseys. I think when that time comes I will be very "focused" as well. Congrats on your decision and I'm sure you'll find just the right cow. I love the name Gladys. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have had a change of plans with the barn its gonna be moved to a better location, that is more BB friendly :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks Mods for reopening this!

We havent got the cow, barn, or pasture fixed yet but we are preparing now.....

1. We have surveyed our pasture area, and most of it has rich grass and clovers, but one side isnt to hot. So late this winter we are going to put in some good little crops to grow in there, what would be a good set to put in her area that would feed her and benefit our fruit trees? Its actually a a fairly big area, it one of our orchard.

2. We have decided on a 24 by 24 barn/shed thing. We will have a 12 by 12 stall for the cow, then 12 by 12 areas for the beef calf, hay/feed, then our lawnmower and rototiller.

3. And we are for sure gonna get a Jersey, they are more affordable and perfect our area of land.

And as far as the money-saving/frugal tidbit, I have been collecting 6 pound nacho cheese cans to use for a feed measurer and a calf feeder. So that is one thig being reused.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well I have begining to think Im supposed to get a cow. A few weeks ago we find an electric butter churn and electric ice cream maker. Now Countryside has an article on Treating Dairy Cows frugally and pretty naturally :D

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do hope you get your cow. I keep thinking that I will read that you got one :fl